A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Spotless

Spotless For all your cleaning discussions....

Old 28th May 2017, 01:47 PM

Default Cleaning your beige interior (not the leather)

I've searched through some posts and the detailing sticky but can't find the best answers to how to clean the beige interior.

The headlining is not Alcantara and I can best describe it as "fabric". And it has the odd dirty/grubby mark on it that really bugs me.
But then when I cast an eye on the horrendously filthy seat belts I feel almost nauseous!
And there are other bits of fabric trim like the interior pillars etc that could do with a scrub.

Has anyone tackled a dirty light-coloured interior and had success? Especially cleaning those surfaces that tend to absorb liquid and ultimately stain?

Any cleaning products? Carpet cleaner? Steam cleaning? Anything spotted in and used from Halfords or online?
Or is anyone a professional detailer?

Thanks in advance.

Dean

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Old 28th May 2017, 02:05 PM

Its "Twist" (not Beige!!) Of course, it looks Beige.....

Like you, I havent found a way of cleaning the headling fabric except by VERY careful spot cleaning using carpet shampoo dabbing it on with a microfibre cloth and removing with a dry clean one. I have never tried big areas (fortunately i dont need to) but am sure that whatever you do will put a stain on it.
Old 28th May 2017, 04:52 PM

Pretty much in the same predicament as you Dean, with the light coloured interior. Seatbelts I just avoided, as have no idea how to deal with them, and the plastic trim around the doors just seem to hold the dirt. I tend to clean the leather, doors, dash and centre console, and hope no one looks at the other bits.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 28th May 2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Pretty much in the same predicament as you Dean, with the light coloured interior. Seatbelts I just avoided, as have no idea how to deal with them, and the plastic trim around the doors just seem to hold the dirt. I tend to clean the leather, doors, dash and centre console, and hope no one looks at the other bits.
I've done the doors, console and dash myself on my TWIST () interior and am now at the seatbelt and headliner stage.
The headliner isn't that bad and I don't tend to look there that often so I could perhaps overlook that...
But the seatbelts? Urggh!!
I can't stop thinking about the germs and what must have been a thousand grubby, sweaty hands rubbing and grabbing at the fabric. They stand out like a sore thumb
I'll be popping to Halfords tomorrow and will be scouring the shelves (not literally, I'm not that anal) for something that might do the trick.
Of course I don't want to "wash" them in something that is going to damage the fibres and the integrity of the belt.
If I come up with something that works, I shall report back in true A8PartsForum style.

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Old 28th May 2017, 08:54 PM

There used to be a Turtle Wax interior shampoo product which came in a spray can with a built-in brush on the top - I think its a yellow can. That may still be available, and was quite good for jobs like that if you could vacuum it up afterwards as the brush was quite soft.

I made some space btw...
Old 28th May 2017, 09:06 PM

hi I've had good results with the seatbelts in the past i pulled the belt out all the way and attached it outside the car. applied foaming upholstery cleaner from halfruads leave it a minute then power wash both sides (not steam clean) leave them stretched out until dry.
worked for me. was a tip from a car valeter
cheers Dave

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 28th May 2017, 09:43 PM

My go to product for cleaning fabric are baby wipes. They are gentle and work most of the time, and don't tend to leave any residue.
Old 29th May 2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanker View Post
I've done the doors, console and dash myself on my TWIST () interior and am now at the seatbelt and headliner stage.
The headliner isn't that bad and I don't tend to look there that often so I could perhaps overlook that...
But the seatbelts? Urggh!!
After my last post, I was out at the car and decided to have a proper look (with my glasses on!) at the headlining and seatbelts, as well as the seats, to see how bad they were.

In my case, the headlining, especially round the drivers door is pigging.

The seatbelt is pretty manky as well, but I'm most annoyed by the state of the drivers seat, which is my own fault. I've been doing quite a bit of work around the house and have been disposing of tons of rubble, whilst wearing my working clothes. Trouble is, I was then getting in the car with them on... so guess what I'll be trying to get done before Friday Was so annoyed, I didn't even check the other seats, but can only hope they're nowhere near as bad.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 31st May 2017, 07:16 PM

For Seatbelts, Pull belts out fully or until a clean section emerges,clip with clothes pegs or Bulldog Clips.Place belts in bucket of warm water with washing powder using nail brush or similar to scrub them.
Wipe belts with damp microfibre and towel dry.
It's wise to cover front seats with plastic in case of a spill.
Be careful that belts are fully dry before releasing pegs/clips or you will have mildew/mould in a few days.
For obvious safety reasons, solvents etc. should not be used on seatbelts.
Old 5th June 2017, 09:41 AM

For leather I use Dodo Juice Leather cleaner, it is the most effective one I used (and I've spent far to much on this kind of stuff ) you will need to use a conditioner, I use Gtechniq L1 Leather guard, but in my experience there isn't too much difference in conditioners.

For fabric cleaning I use Chemical Guys Lightning Fast, it is the most effective one I used for removing stains, but it also caused a dramatic better effect on the red carpets of my S2000 which looked fine before. I haven't got any experience with it on seatbelts and headlinings though, I never clean a headlining unless there are really obvious stains since getting it wet can promote sagging.