A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 20th December 2011, 05:35 PM

Default Raised Drains Ouch!

Evening all
Driven 300 miles today then driving into the local tesco one stop tonight for my bottle of Merlot... I hit a section of raised carpark on my blindside (N/s) where they appear to have fixed some drains. It's damaged the rear of the near side sill. The plastic section which comes part way up the front of the wheel arch has been pushed out of the sill section and the jacking point has been ripped off.
From what I can see it only clipped the jacking point ( thats the only thing with a scuff on it) but in shoving that backwards the plastic sill corner has been wrenched back. Luckily no visable paint damage and I think the sill section will slot back in if I can move it.
Question is how does that come away as I need to pull it back to shove it forward if that makes sense
Also I assume I can get a new jacking point section as the plastic retaining lugs are b*ggered on that!
Whats the best/safest way to jack the car up using a trolley jack to remove the back wheel bearing in mind I can't use the jacking point now

Oh and whilst grovelling on the floor with a torch I noticed the back tyre needs replacing happy days!

Is it worth a letter to Tesco's as that is poor form on the carpark which you can't see in the dark at all, and I had the suspension on normal so no doubt damage would have been worse had it been set to sport!
Thanks Glyn
Old 20th December 2011, 05:48 PM

Definitely worth complaining. I complained to SAINSBURYS about a pothole damaging my suspension on my previous car because I was annoyed (even though it didn't really, it already had a bust track rod end) and they sent an email asking for a quote and said they would pay. I didn't reply as it was already like it. I think they are scared of potential bad publicity.
Old 20th December 2011, 08:07 PM

Thanks I might drop them a letter and see might pop down with the camera to take a shot of the raised section!
Meanwhile I need to get the car sorted. Anyone know if taking the inner wheel arch protecter the "furry bit" reveals the fixings for the rear sill section?
Also where to jack the a8 from on the rear without using the jacking point?
I will pop into Audi tomorrow to see if they are able to get me the replacement jacking point
Cheers Glyn
Old 20th December 2011, 08:19 PM

do these help Glyn? not sure what model you have!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3 arch liner.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	2602   Click image for larger version

Name:	D3 Side & Rear.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	2603  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 20th December 2011, 09:40 PM

Thanks
I think I will have to remove the arch inner guard and see what's holding the sill corner in/on
Any pointers on jacking the rear up anyone
Worst case I can stick in the plastic section/moulding but it will be in the way i guess when I try and refit the sill corner.
Well annoyed tbh damn drains although it could have been worse I guess

Thanks Glyn
Old 21st December 2011, 08:16 AM

Hi Glyn don't know about the D3 but i know my D2 is stiff enough to get the rear wheel off the ground if you jack up the front enough, might be able to get something in under the rear suspention and drop the front back down?
Old 21st December 2011, 08:54 AM

Thanks Dezzy
I have managed to get the rear off enough to remove the wheel with a large piece of wood over the jack using the rear suspension arm /wish bone
I have now dismantled the rear of the sill and it broken the plastic braket affair behind this section which is like and L shape and bolys to the body.
I am currently trying to repair this but doubt it will hold so looks like a trip to Audi for a new one!
At least these A8 are built well and when you come to take them apart everything is screwed together well and in a fashion that gives you some confidence
Lucikly all the damage is out of sight and not paintwork related, the jacking lug which is again a section of plastic is wrecked as the lugs off the back have been ripped off so that will have to be replaced
I have dropped A8 parts an email to see if they have one before heading to the dealers
Cheers
Glyn
Old 21st December 2011, 11:52 AM

Just a quick update
managed to resolve the broken bits and refit the sill. There is an L shaped bracket in plastic behind the sill corner which was proken . This holds the furry wheel arch cover and the bottom of the sill in place. I had to repair this and used some ally strip I had handy which I drilled and screwed together. So a good strong job and it is totally covered up anyway. Everything is re-fitted. Just ordered a new jacking point and thats £8 from Audi so hopefully nothing more to do. Spoke to Tesco today and they say they don't own the carpark as the building is rented. However there have been lots of complaints so have takend some pictures of the damage and the carpark and will lodge a complaint. But as I am totally against the compensation culture in this country I will probably let it drop TBH. I know people will think differently but thats just me
Car looks Ok and thanks god it's built well
Thanks for the help
Cheers
Glyn

now off to sort the rear tyres