A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 23rd August 2014, 06:24 PM

Default Steering fluid possibly!

Hi Guys,

Just my luck I suppose! I've just gone out and on the dual carriageway I noticed that the rear of the car was smoking and I found this strange so watched it in the mirror for a bit, however a minute or so later I noticed that the steering was extremely heavy and wouldn't physically be moved to both sides of the dual carriageway... I pulled over only to find a dark black oil dripping from the front passenger side at the back of the fog light area.

Upon looking under the bonnet and looking about I've noticed what looks like a lot of oil in there and a pipe that looks like that it has come off, and assumedly this is why I've had this issue. Can anyone confirm this from the pictures I've been able to take and secondly, it looks like a bumper off job, and a pipe on, secure... fluid top up! I ain't got a clue, anyone know somewhere that it could go to?

If you look at the image below, the pipe has a couple of cable ties and apparently nothing to hold onto, would this be why my steering has gone and oil everywhere.

All and any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Regards, Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:42 PM

I can't see as it's dark, but is it just hanging loose?
I would think it goes onto the steering fluid cooler in the radiator or maybe bottom of reservoir(depending on where the photo was taken).
http://www.partscats.info/audi/en/?i...ent_id=1236685
I'm thinking replace the cable ties with [9] and find some CHF11S at halfords/GSF/amazon or motor factor or ebay. You can remove the reservoir and lift up with two bolts IIRC.

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd August 2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 23rd August 2014, 08:24 PM

Have you look inside the steering fluid reservoir if it's empty??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 23rd August 2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I can't see as it's dark, but is it just hanging loose?
I would think it goes onto the steering fluid cooler in the radiator or maybe bottom of reservoir(depending on where the photo was taken).
http://www.partscats.info/audi/en/?i...ent_id=1236685
I'm thinking replace the cable ties with [9] and find some CHF11S at halfords/GSF/amazon or motor factor or ebay. You can remove the reservoir and lift up with two bolts IIRC.
Well after much stress, cut wrists and knuckles it would appear that in the dark me and my father have pushed the two pipes together again inside the other about an inch maybe a little more. I've not fired it back up to see if this has corrected it as obviously I was thinking it needs a jubilee clip of some sorts to resist against the pressure of the power steering pump pushing the fluid about. so tomorrow morning is my trip out to get a jubilee clip. Obviously at that time as suggested I will check the reservoir pot and no doubt pick up a supply to top it up and bring things back to normal. Hopefully the pump will accept the fluid and there will be no air locks as I don't fancy the task of getting air out of a power steering system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Have you look inside the steering fluid reservoir if it's empty??
I'm a mere office/admin/driving lad, mechanics are not my thing although simple bits are not too much of a problem. I've not looked and didn't even think look, everything was based on the fact that the wheel won't turn when I'm pulling like crazy with two hands on one size.

Regards, Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com

Last edited by LordHefner; 23rd August 2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 24th August 2014, 09:33 AM

just checked and the steering fluid reservoir is empty, not sure how much is left in the pipes but I assume I could take this little repair/project as a fluid change... does steering fluid deteriorate or perish?

I've sent out for a litre of the CHF-11S but in thinking I'm wondering if a single litre will be enough?

Regards, Mark.

Future Plans:

Planned Mods:

Old 24th August 2014, 10:19 AM

Bleeding

Bleeding steering system after repairs

Different bleeding procedures are required after repairs to the steering system, depending on which components have been removed or renewed.

Bleeding system after replacement of entire steering system or steering box:

– Fill reservoir completely.

– Raise vehicle so that all wheels are free.

l Engine switched off.

– With engine switched off, turn steering wheel 10 times from lock to lock.

– Start engine and let it run briefly (2 seconds maximum).

Pump must not draw in air. Steering wheel must not be turned.

Wait approx. 30 seconds between engine starts.

– Check hydraulic fluid level and top up if necessary.

– Keep repeating this procedure until fluid level remains constant.

– Start engine.

– Turn steering wheel 10 times from lock to lock.

Any air remaining in the steering system will dissipate when the vehicle has been driven 10…20 km.

Bleeding system after removing one or more steering system components with the exception of the steering box (i.e. pump, hoses, etc.):

Pump must not draw in air; steering wheel must not be turned.

– Start engine and let it run for 2 - 3 minutes without turning steering wheel.

Any air remaining in the steering system will dissipate when the vehicle has been driven 10…20 km.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 24th August 2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Bleeding

Bleeding steering system after repairs

Different bleeding procedures are required after repairs to the steering system, depending on which components have been removed or renewed.

Bleeding system after replacement of entire steering system or steering box:

– Raise vehicle so that all wheels are free.

l Engine switched off.

Pump must not draw in air. Steering wheel must not be turned.

– Start engine.

– Turn steering wheel 10 times from lock to lock.

Bleeding system after removing one or more steering system components with the exception of the steering box (i.e. pump, hoses, etc.):

Well that is awesome! The very good news is that after much scrapped knuckles and savaged wrists I with help from my father have managed to get the pipe back on the car, managed to get a small jubilee clip in there and also tighten in whilst pushing the pipes over the other and holding them in whilst trying to screw up the jubilee, all this with the bumper and headlights in position. However if you are not the most patient of people or have a temper I would suggest staying away from hammers and sharp tools whilst doing this, as it's the most frustrating of things I've done in a long time. But it's done! The car moves and steers like it should.

Obviously I'll be going out and doing the bleeding procedure in a bit but currently after just a short drive around the block the car appears to be driving fine, if not maybe a little lighter than I remember, and the fluid level is sitting on the edge of the minimum level. A four mile around trip to Halfords to get another litre to take it to maximum will help with both the levels and the bleeding regime!

Thanks once again all those who've contributed, once again faith is restored in the forums and another reason to stay away from Main Dealer.

A nice pressure wash later to clean off all of the fluid that leaked everywhere and it should be as good as new! I assume lifting the bonnet and putting the pressure hose in to the oil areas is a big No? or am I OK to do this to ensure the fluids is all gone?

Regards, Mark.

Future Plans:

Planned Mods:

Old 24th August 2014, 11:48 AM

This part relates to your issue, not the first bit

Well done mate

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10