A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 1st September 2014, 08:49 AM

Question CODING: Headlights

Hi Guys

I need your opinion about coding headlights. The best answer would be to just go to the car and code it to see what happens, but I'm unable to do that because of the type of headlights I've got.

It's about upgrading P21W halogen bulbs to LEDs and coding them as LEDs to avoid fitting of resistors or bulb errors if you don't fit resistors.

Mark and David want to do this mod, but both of them got the Bi-Xenons with P21W halogen, but no AFS.

DRL LED coding is available only for Bi-Xenon headlights with AFS.

SO, how about if you code your headlights as LED DRL with AFS if you don't have AFS???

Mark, has all the wiring in place because guy who sold him car downgraded his headlights from Bi-Xenons LED DRL with AFS to just Bi-Xenons with P21W
...Will his lights work properly??
...Will he get a no bulb error for cornering light??

David, has his original Bi-Xenons with P21W so no AFS wiring and he would like to fir, same as Mark, LED P21W and code it as LED with with AFS, which he hasn't got.
...Will his lights work properly??
...Will he get a no bulb error for cornering light??

Many many thanks guys

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 1st September 2014, 11:44 AM

...I forgot about one thing.
I've got Bi-Xenon headlights with AFS but P21W halogen where only Bi-Xenons and DRLs are wired, but nothing else (Xenon range moduole not fitted yet and wiring not in place)
I have them coded as Bi-Xenons with AFS and LED DRL with no bulb error and they work fine atm.

So I think that solves David problem, but how about Mark??

He has all the wiring in place and all the bits (a fuse for AFS may be removed) but not headlight for it.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 1st September 2014, 11:54 AM

I'm not sure what you need to work out Marcin, is it wiring or purely coding?

I have AFS on mine do you want to know what coding mine has?

Old 1st September 2014, 01:40 PM

They both want P21W halogens upgraded to P21W LEDs.

To avoid bulb error and fitting resistors you can code your headlights as Bi-Xenons with LED DRL (NOT HALOGEN) and with AFS.

They both don't have AFS, both have same headlights.

Will they experience fopr example no bulb error if the will code headlights as with AFS if they don't have AFS.

Difference is that one guy had LED AFS Bi-Xenons and now he has just Bi-Xenons, so if the wiring is still there, will he experience any issues by having them coded as the headlights with AFS and LED to avoid LED bulb error.

>>>>>>
I have Bi-Xenons with AFS with halogen (upgraded to LED already ) coded as Bi-Xenons AFS LED and I don't get errors even if AFS is not wired yet, no xenon range module.

What if you do exactly as above, having wiring in place, but not having correct headlights, just Bi-Xenons??

OK, it starts to confuse me as well, don't know how else to explain this but it should be pretty clear now if it wasn't in first post, hopefully

Cheers

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 1st September 2014, 01:50 PM

Code with the LED AFS option and see what happens.

It will work and no error.
It will work and error.
It wont work with no error.
It wont work with error.

Either them but I wonder what it will do to the way the headlights work.

Time will tell when they are coded I guess.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 1st September 2014, 05:27 PM

Code LED with AFS and see if there is an error in the cluster (or just in VCDS). If annoying error on the cluster, you could try running a wire from the cornering light pin on the connector to the fog light +ve and have fog light cornering lights like Mercedes/renault/citroën.
Old 1st September 2014, 06:14 PM

Cheers guys

The only reason why I'm asking this, is because both of them read my thread and they already got what they need, and even if they haven't noticed that that's for headlights with AFS I'll be gutted if it wont work for them, and it kind of makes me feel responsible.

I know the possible causes, I just thought one of you may know definitive answer.

I wont be involve in both jobs....but Scott will be in Mark's
I think he wants you to help him with that when he comes over to sort out the ballast and headlights issues.
If there is no way to make it work on headlights with AFS, I would rather let them know before hand, because it's a bast ard job to fit all 4 bulbs and if this can't be done, then they will have to do it again, very frustrating if that would be me.

I like Dragons idea, worth trying if coding wont work.

The issue which I mentioned before is that they both have Bi-Xenons with halogen P21W. but one has wiring for AFS in place and other hasn't, and I was just wonder if that matters at all.

Thank you very much as I'm sure it wasn't the easiest explanation and answer

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 2nd September 2014, 06:26 AM

M-A8, Your AFS is not wired up yet is it?

So essentially you have the same setup as mark and Dave?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 2nd September 2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
M-A8, Your AFS is not wired up yet is it?

So essentially you have the same setup as mark and Dave?
Yeah, that's what I realized.
David hasn't got it, but looking at VIN decoder I'm confused again as it says Bi-Xenons with LED and AFS ??? Will look into it today.

You know Marks car, how far did you went with investigating his car??
We know his headlights were unfairly downgraded.
Do yo know if his wring was changed as well, or they just swapped the lights and left everything as it was??
I'm just thinking how car will react to Bi LED AFS coding with wiring in place but not the headlights for it.

Cheers Scott

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 2nd September 2014, 06:48 AM

From what I can tell with marks car is it had a front end shunt, they replaced the broken bits with cheaper (my assumption) parts.
Basic, cheap headlights and never bothered paying for the proper AFS headlights.
Its all their, just not being used.

I can't see the cabling causing any issues.
The unit wont send any AFS signals if its not coded and if it is coded the signals would have no where to go cause there's nothing there to take the coding.

so he should be ok.