A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 17th August 2014, 12:35 PM

Well done Manny
As mentioned few months earlier, bit by bit and you will get there and I'm pretty sure you are way much happier driver now.

I think I have to do the same for my side mirrors as they rather noisy when folding, I'm just afraid of breaking the mirror glass in order to get to the mechanism.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 1st September 2014, 08:14 PM

After operating quiet a few times without a problem the sunroof is back to square one. Driving round Norfolk one day last week, parked up in Cromer and went to close the sunroof. Started closing fine, got to within an inch of closing and it decided to open again. Spent the next 10mins trying, even using the override option it would not close and just opened. I ended up turning the dial in stages with a pause at each stop, eventually got it closed.

Roof tilts up and down just fine, it opens without issue, its just closing thats proving to be an issue.

If the weather is fine at the weekend I'll brave opening it again, giving all the runners another clean, clean the seals and wax around the sunroof opening before applying the lithium grease again.

Moving on to the outstanding jobs, I'll get the first few sorted at the same whilst those in the second part are low priority to me still as the car drives fine.

Replace NSR wheel bearing as its whining, no play in bearing its just noisy.
Fix broken headlight washers, suspect split pipework
Get brakes looked at, it might be me but think the front brake discs maybe warped due to pulsating sensation with light braking.

Low priority:
Fix seized intake manifold flaps and linkages
Fix clicking MMI screen.

Also, swap lower centre front grill for an ACC one. Got the grill from Guy (daviesbike, thanks Guy), all cleaned up now and ready to fit. I just need to workout how to release the clips without removing the bumper. It looks doable with a couple of sets of mole grips through the slats. Hopefully then its just a case of running the basic settings on the ACC controller to force it to relearn. It currently reports misadjusted because it has been trying to peer through the wrong grill for who knows how long, hopefully the radar is ok and does not need calibrating. I found a guide which explains how to run the basic settings only on VAS, hopefully its also possible with VCDS. The misadjustment error cannot be cleared without forcing the basic settings.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 1st September 2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 1st September 2014, 09:32 PM

The brake discs wobble could be something as simple as a front track rod end or suspension joint having some very slight play Manny. Worth checking the discs with a gauge on the car to see and if they are not much out or not out then could well be that instead

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 2nd September 2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 2nd September 2014, 05:51 PM

This evening I have swapped the lower centre grill for the ACC one supplied by Guy

What I did not realise was the old non ACC one is attached to the bumper in a different way, using clips around the chrome trim and through the bumper. I had to use brute force to get the old one off, but managed it by using some heavy duty pliers and applying lots of force to the black plastic grill around the edges. It came away easily once I overcome the clips.

ACC one was a doddle to fit, and will be to remove as well due to the way it clips in using easily accessible tabs.

Quick after picture below, taken in fading light so I have had to tweak the exposure and contrast so you can see the ACC part.

Gave me chance to clean some of the crap from the lower part of the AC condenser, feathers, and dead bugs. Also cleaned the ACC radar of the dirt that had accumulated on its lens as its been fully exposed to the elements for sometime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2688.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	8974  
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 2nd September 2014, 07:34 PM

Good job (grill looks like mine now )

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 2nd September 2014, 07:36 PM

I've now erased the misalignment fault code and run the basic settings, the angles are now reporting 0 degrees. I now need to drive the car with ACC turned on, and it will over time learn the new values.

I followed a car earlier whilst monitoring the ACC measuring blocks and it is picking up the car in front, and its distance increases and decreases as I move closer and further away. The article I found suggests it could take 30km or more of driving in traffic for the system to recalculate the values. Hopefully once its finished the ACC will work again, but it could also go back into misalignment again.

The ACC fault codes are currently clear and have not returned since running the basic settings, so its just a case of see what happens.
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:06 AM

On the drive to work this morning, managed to pull up behind a car long enough for it to recalibrate the angle settings. Pulled away from the traffic lights and up on the display pops available, so I pressed the set button and was greeted with working ACC. The little LED popped up next to the set speed and the car kept going, made a change from the previous "ACC Not Available!" prompt.

Thanks to Guy, for the first time since I owned the car the cruise control works (well at least for now).

Last edited by mannyo; 3rd September 2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:44 AM

Brilliant new Mannyo.

Still unsure if ACC is something I want or not.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:56 AM

Not sure if it's worth the retrofit hassle, but having had it for 5 or so years, I don't want to do without.

I know.. I know..

Old 3rd September 2014, 12:54 PM

I went out for a longer drive at lunch time to try out the ACC, seems to be a bit hit and miss. Cruise works every time but it does not always pickup the car in front, and it popped up sensor blocked! at one point. For example driving around a slight curve it seems to miss the car and does not slow down, so I end up using the brakes myself. Straight line seems ok, and on Distance 4 will keep a reasonable distance slowing down as required.

Perhaps I should try distance 2 and see what happens.