A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 2nd August 2012, 05:43 AM

The answer is above - weld together centre diff.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 4th August 2012, 05:17 PM

anyone who can help me for me transmission
Old 22nd August 2012, 06:20 PM

Elvis I am doing the same type project, you're supposed to move the engine to the rear without turning it around. This way it is rear wheel drive not front.
Replace the transmission with a fwd trans, mainly because the awd will be too long and welding the torsen supposedly would make the trans too weak as said by many people.
These mid engine cars are not normally driving the front wheels so I wouldn't even try that it seems like a lot of extra work.
I'm interested in your build if you plan to use the a8, I'm trying to use this engine also.
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:15 AM

Hi Guys, is there any particular reason you guys have chosen the Audi unit? Just thinking would it not be easier to use another engine from a FWD car seeing that you don’t want 4x4 maybe something like an Alfa for donor, rip engine and gearbox out in one go and plonk it on the back. Lovely free revving Alfa lump will sing at 7k.

Just a thought.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:41 PM

For me I was told it would be a good idea to use it since it bolts right up to most audi transmissions and usually people use audi trannies for these builds. I was going to use an 01e but then I decided I wanted an auto so I can replicate egear and paddle shifters.
Another reason is that I found an 00 audi a8 4.2 in excellent condition for only $1100 not a scratch on it. The only thing wrong with it is something with the transmission it will only work in reverse. I haven't investigated the problem yet.

On top of that I love the sound, I definitely can't have my car sounding like a muscle car.
Alfas are rare where I am, I've never even seen one in person.

Last edited by tallon; 23rd August 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 23rd August 2012, 05:44 PM

i have seen a lot of supercars that have used the audi engine and gearbox.the reasson that i use the audi is that i have an audi a8 4.2 and the second is that i like audi it is in my spirit
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:36 PM

Tallon - It's usually that it won't select reverse that's the failure on these. (Not to say that the fault is as you describe).

If it is, it's the 'F' seal that's gone but it's a full gearbox strip and rebuild to fix, though there is a thread here on it. If you're near Chicago, then there's a man there known as Tozo on some of the forums who can fix these with his eyes shut

I know.. I know..

Old 25th August 2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallon View Post
For me I was told it would be a good idea to use it since it bolts right up to most audi transmissions and usually people use audi trannies for these builds. I was going to use an 01e but then I decided I wanted an auto so I can replicate egear and paddle shifters.
Another reason is that I found an 00 audi a8 4.2 in excellent condition for only $1100 not a scratch on it. The only thing wrong with it is something with the transmission it will only work in reverse. I haven't investigated the problem yet.

On top of that I love the sound, I definitely can't have my car sounding like a muscle car.
Alfas are rare where I am, I've never even seen one in person.
Thats explained that, no body wants Alfa's here as they tent to rot around the engine and gearbox untill you're just left with an engine and gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
i have seen a lot of supercars that have used the audi engine and gearbox.the reasson that i use the audi is that i have an audi a8 4.2 and the second is that i like audi it is in my spirit
Good luck to you both and i'm looking forward to following the builds. Please add photos too.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:44 PM

Dezzy i think alfa romeo is interesant i ve seen a V6 sengine but i think it is too littleand not powerfull.Audi is great and very nice durable and simple in build.if u can halp me plz find me any materials for using my quattro transmission for my middle engeine supercar,and i lle do my cam and if it is too slowly bcz i like to use tronic gears to the steering weel like a supercar.i will modify it .
Old 26th August 2012, 01:49 PM

there is a men who has build a pagani using a jaguar w12 engine and a manual gearbox from an Audi A4 .it is intersting ,and it is going very well