A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 29th November 2011, 08:20 PM

Default S8 dead!!!

Well, as some of you know, but not all as not been long, but I had Mikes old S8. Did an engine repair and have been thoroughly enjoying S8 ownership for three months (and covered 11,000 brilliant, effortless miles in the process).

Really got attached to the car in that period but on Saturday it met its end, although, it prevented mine and that of my 2 little girls!

I was at a junction when a fella in a new Passat slammed into the '8's front corner at 45-50mph (no braking attempted, by his own admission!)

I had a concussion as I was slammed into the side window and the car is a write of but my kids were scratch free and I was fine 24hrs later. I know that in a lesser car things would have been different!
I'm gutted that my pride and Joy (and Mikes!!) is no more but I'm eternally grateful to the car and Audi's build quality that my kids are fine!
The engine and gearbox are ripped clean from the car but it was still running and managed to drag itself out of harms way from the carriageway, and if you ignore the front damage, the passenger cell is in touched! The front is 11inches out of line with the centre of the passenger cell tho! What a car!

Shows how much design and build of the car come into play when it REALLY matters! Won't be replacing it with a Fiesta I can assure you!
Old 29th November 2011, 08:23 PM

Glad youre all OK Ben, as you say its a testament to the build strength of these cars, I bet the passat was more properly muller-ed. Heres to another 8 to protect you all again soon. . . best wishes

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 29th November 2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Glad youre all OK Ben, as you say its a testament to the build strength of these cars, I bet the passat was more properly muller-ed. Heres to another 8 to protect you all again soon. . . best wishes
Cheers mate, and thanks for the text!!
The Passat was bad but not as bad as the S8 as it was head on, whereas the S8 was sideways at front corner if that makes sense......? Still bad enough tho!
Old 29th November 2011, 08:25 PM

Bloody hell!! My worst nightmare is having some numpty hit me when I'm carrying my son in the car - glad your nearest and dearest weren't hurt at all - bet they were shaken up by it though?

Any pics of the damage and which of Mike's fleet was this?

Plenty of quality A/S8s coming out of the woodwork at the moment, if budget allows

Adrian
Old 29th November 2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Ben View Post
Cheers mate, and thanks for the text!!
The Passat was bad but not as bad as the S8 as it was head on, whereas the S8 was sideways at front corner if that makes sense......? Still bad enough tho!
In accident report terms that's a front to offside front (or nearside front if he came from your left!)
Old 29th November 2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Bloody hell!! My worst nightmare is having some numpty hit me when I'm carrying my son in the car - glad your nearest and dearest weren't hurt at all - bet they were shaken up by it though?

Any pics of the damage and which of Mike's fleet was this?

Plenty of quality A/S8s coming out of the woodwork at the moment, if budget allows

Adrian
I have a pic and will pop it u tomorrow. Doesn't do the damage justice tho!
It was R510 PJB. Had it after he got the Murple
Old 29th November 2011, 08:35 PM

Very bad news glad you're all well tho
Old 29th November 2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
In accident report terms that's a front to offside front (or nearside front if he came from your left!)
He was from right, so O/S - bloody hit hard! I thought he was having a hear attack once I got to him in his car! Not nice experience!
Old 29th November 2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal_ay View Post
Very bad news glad you're all well tho
Thank you! All OK in end - all parties safe and now well but makes you think!
Old 30th November 2011, 06:54 AM

Glad you and more importantly the girls are ok mate.
Such a shame i liked that car, it's what mine should look like.