A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 14th February 2016, 10:02 AM

Default Sat Nav DVD Drive

Hi all
Looking at options. My unit has never read copy discs for more then a few weeks but never had any issues reading the original disc. Having recently tried a newer original Audi disc which it failed to read after a few days I'm now having problems with the original disc. I've used a recommended lense cleaner to no avail.
From what I can see a replacement unit would need CP to be done and might fail anyway like the first. Has anyone had theirs refurbed. I've been into a local car audio place and they weren't interested and mumbled about problems while it was off the car. Anyone sent theirs for repair!?
I imagine I could source a replacement laser (I'm sure a few months back I saw a link to one somewhere).
In the evenings after a couple of light ales I'm talking myself into pulling it apart myself. At the moment I'm clear headed enough the following morning to leave well alone. Has anyone repaired their own?
Old 14th February 2016, 11:04 AM

Ive had the same issue on one of our D3's - AdrianE has replaced his drive in his RNSe for his D2 with success and has suggested the following to me which I hadn't yet had time to see if it works or not, so please make all your own checks before going down this route, but this may well be what you're looking for -

Have a look at the link and e-mail address at the bottom of this post:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...ight=transport

The web site shows a navigation transport for MMI 2G

Drop the guy an e-mail as that worked best for me.

I ordered via ebay - they accepted a £75 offer for the RNS-E unit and by the time I'd paid shipping and import duty I'm pretty sure it was under £100

I think this might be what you need, but I'd confirm by e-mail (same seller)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVD-Loader...4NElSKwvJ83KMw

Ebay suggests they've accepted offers of £60 for it in the past

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 14th February 2016, 11:58 AM

Brilliant thank you for taking the time to share. I'll have a read through later today
Old 15th February 2016, 07:33 AM

If you are getting yours refurbed, you wont need to remove compnent protection. You probably will need a fibre optic loop to fit in place of the nav drive while yours is gone for repair. Without the bypass loop, the whole mmi system goes down. I posted details here a few weeks back of a guy in Ireland that can refurb them if you cant find someone locally.
Old 15th February 2016, 06:05 PM

Thanks Joe2.0E I saw your post about the guy in Ireland I hope there will be somewhere nearer if I do go for refurb.
For now I'm definitely going to explore the replacement transit idea, I'm waiting for a response from the Ebay seller. I'll have a read about this loop you mention. Thanks for the advice
Old 18th February 2016, 11:03 AM

So Ebay seller wants a photo of the unit with the cover off. I have the drive off the car but can't get it out if the plastic sleeve. I assume it needs some sort of removal tool like car radios. Can anyone confirm please