A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 12th December 2020, 03:04 PM

Default YouTube - American manual rebuild

A 10-part D2 S8 rebuild with a 6-speed manual transmission.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDH...o9IbZpg/videos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S8 rebuild.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	24804  

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 15th December 2020, 05:03 PM
Banned

Thats a really nice spec car too, why make it worse with a manual I'll never know though :P
Old 15th December 2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Thats a really nice spec car too, why make it worse with a manual I'll never know though :P
You know how I can tell you've never driven a manual S8?

Best mod ever
Old 15th December 2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post

Best mod ever
I'm definitely in the manual camp - the auto box is the only thing I don't like about my S8. In an ideal world I'd have one of each

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.

Last edited by tintin; 15th December 2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 15th December 2020, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post

Best mod ever
I've driven 2 2002 2.8 Sport Quattro's, one was accident damaged and drove sideways like a crab and the other one I bought haha, but I do 40k miles a year and just could not even think about a manual, maybe thats why
Old 16th December 2020, 07:36 AM

I have never driver a automatic S8! I would love to try, because the manual is not so smooth on city traffic... I think overall automatic will suit such a big luxury car better, but the manual will definitely give it a more sporty character.

PF manual S8 also reminds me a lot of my fathers 200 quattro 20V, which started my Audi-enthusiasm. It definately has the same "feel", although S8 is more agile, balanced and solid.

S8 quattro 6-gang PF / 200 quattro 20V / 944 Turbo / 500 SEC

Instagram @hptalli
Old 16th December 2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heksi View Post
I have never driver a automatic S8! I would love to try,
Don't then! It will just make you sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heksi View Post
PF manual S8 also reminds me a lot of my fathers 200 quattro 20V, which started my Audi-enthusiasm. It definately has the same "feel", although S8 is more agile, balanced and solid.
A surprisingly large portion of this is down to the manual gearbox. With the manual gearbox the sense of connection to the drivetrain is increased by an order of magnitude such that the car is extraordinarily lithe and responsive on the twisty bits compared to the auto which, even in S or tip, feels like its just blundering around like a drunken grizzly bear.

The 3.7 and 4.2 are perfect with the auto. They're great cruising cars and have plenty of torque to make up for the 5HP's stupidity. The S8 deserves the manual though.

The 2.8 is an odd case. I don't think a single drive of Big Red has taken place without the anguished cry of 'argh stupid gearbox' and a clunk in to 'S'. Even when I put it straight in to S (which is now becoming habit), I still have to override it with the tip buttons when it won't change up. That particular implementation of the 5HP is the dumbest of the lot IMO where the ECU/TCU combo is constantly seeking 1500rpm in the highest gear possible, where the engine doesn't have the torque to pull it. It ruins the experience of the 2.8 for me, and as soon as I have figured out D2 RHD clutch pedal 2.0 the 5HP19 will be banished to the pallet of shame!

I used to do 30-40K a year in my first 3.7 D2, and loved every mile, but then I did the same in manual A6s when the D2's 5HP blew up. Depends what you want from the car obviously. Most of my journeys are 12 miles of twisty Devon A roads, followed by hundreds of miles of motorway. I have a habit of tuning cars for those 12 miles and just put up with the compromise for the rest of it