A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 31st January 2019, 11:57 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
The AA managed to keep me waiting for 5 hours for a flat bed lorry when I told them it was a crankshaft position sensor that had finally failed on a D3 (and the part was already ordered and at the garage waiting to be fitted but the car refused to start to take it there!)

They firstly insisted on sending out a patrol which took 2 hours total and wasted his time and mine, then proceeded to keep me waiting another 3 hours for a flat bed lorry (they said they were busy with their own lorries).

I eventually lost patience and they finally took the hint and ordered a local flat bed breakdown truck to come out, who said he was only 15 minutes away and could have come out at any time earlier had they had authorised him to come!).

Suffice it to say, I am no longer using the AA and will probably never again!
Same reason I left the AA many years ago too (been with the RAC ever since).

Before my long 8-ownership I owned numerous hydropneumatic Citroens. Like the AWD 8s, the Citroen's couldn't be towed because of the self-levelling suspension. And there was rarely a breakdown that didn't require flat-bed recovery (or at least not one that I couldn't easily fix myself). Every time I would request a flat-bed and every time they sent a patrol van, despite agreeing on the phone that they needed to send a flat-bed.

The final straw was when a BX I owned blew a suspension return pipe and bled its green (LHM) blood all over the road. When I phoned the AA, I made it clear that the car was sat on its belly and would require a flat-bed, yet they sent a patrol van. After some head scratching the patrol guy agreed he could do nothing and requesting a flat-bed. A couple of hours later another patrol van turned up. Eventually a flat-bed came (from a local indy) ... some 8 hours later!
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 31st January 2019, 05:26 PM

The only time my 8 let me down I had a similiar experience with the local indie flat truck driver living only ten minutes away.
I was with the RAC but still am, it comes with my bank account and is Euro wide.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 18th April 2019, 12:17 PM

Default All sorted (I think)

DS Autowerks in Crawley had a look at my car yesterday after all of my recent troubles with the fuel pump. The fuel tank/pump seals were on back order for a while and for the last month or so, I've had the annoying situation where I cannot fill the tank due to petrol peeing out of the top of the pump assembly due to the dodgy/broken seal(s). Further to this, I've also not been using the accelerator too much as anything over 2,500-3000rpm resulted in a sudden waft of petrol vapour from the boot area. Plus, I run out of fuel at around 3 segments full on the fuel gauge. In effect, I've had half a tank of range, coupled with the Prius phenomenon of range anxiety. There was additionally a slight hesitancy when tapping on the accelerator pedal lightly when pulling away.

Well, after some lengthy action in the boot yesterday, my car now doesn't smell of petrol. Fuel pump seals all replaced (£120 for about 5 seals and a clip) and she's back to her old self. Pick-up is back to normal and no more petrol vapour when giving the V8 a squirt! I am very happy with the work done. The acid test will be when I hit that 3rd segment on the fuel gauge - suffice to say, I already have a petrol can at the ready in the boot - although I think it's all fixed now to my complete satisfaction.
Old 18th April 2019, 08:19 PM

Great to hear was David talking funny after sniffing that tank full of fuel vapour

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 19th April 2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Great to hear was David talking funny after sniffing that tank full of fuel vapour
He did mention that it wasn't that fun, two of them stuck in the boot at a funny angle with an inspection mirror and petrol fumes all around on a warm day. As per usual though, they've done a great job. Time will tell with regard to full tank capacity etc. as I am now close to my old danger zone of 3 segments on the fuel gauge - spare fuel can at the ready!

Oh, and the work done seems to have fixed a slight hesitancy on acceleration as well as having cured my rough and lumpy idle at start-up that has plagued me recently. I am a very happy chappy.
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:21 AM

Default Petrol can required :-(

My vehicle 'ran out of fuel' again yesterday for the 4th time, and it always seems to be at a major road junction; this time in Colliers Wood. Easily fixed by a quick walk to the garage that was luckily within visual distance, which was helpful.

Looks like the car will be going back to the garage again tomorrow. My quandary is whether to spend any more money trying to get this problem fixed as the sum total of repairs so far including lowloaders, joining a recovery service at the roadside (never cheap) has totted up to over £1200. Not good. Still, in other news - insurance quote for an S6 with the mighty V10 engine is only another £36 a year because of my grey hair lol
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:34 AM

Ugh how incredibly frustrating

I'm having similar issues with Big Red. Every time I think it's fixed, it runs out at a different level
Old 22nd April 2019, 11:50 AM

I could never get T8 right as, as you found out

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 22nd April 2019, 02:17 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
My vehicle 'ran out of fuel' again yesterday for the 4th time, and it always seems to be at a major road junction; this time in Colliers Wood. Easily fixed by a quick walk to the garage that was luckily within visual distance, which was helpful.
I feel your pain. I had that problem for a couple of years or more after a botched fuel pump repair caused some seating/sealing issue with the pump unit. Had quite a few cut-outs in awkward/dangerous places, including while overtaking once or twice.

First time it happened the AA couldn't work out what the problem was so my car was recovered to the garage, who 'fixed' it by putting some more petrol in and declaring the problem to be an iffy fuel sender. After it happened again a couple more times I started carrying a jerry can full of petrol in the boot. Later, I realised it would only happen at just over a quarter tank so for a couple of years or more I got into the habit of keeping the tank at least half full.

After researching the problem and determining it to be an incorrectly seated/sealed pump unit, I had three different garages try to fix it, and I even had a go myself. Eventually I gave up and just ordered used fuel tank (from Prestige), complete with working pump, and swapped the lot.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 23rd April 2019, 02:22 PM

Thanks ever so much Mark (moltuae) for chipping in with that bit of historic information about your similar situation. It seems like I'm afflicted with a very similar problem. Due to the fact that I've already spent £1200 approx. trying to get this fuel pump issue sorted, I'm loathe to spend even more money but it looks like the only viable option at this stage.

Had a chat with A8Parts and they have one in stock. Time for Johnny G to check his wallet and make a decision. Cheers for everyone's input.

P.S. I think my fuel pump was working all the time and was erroneously replaced.