A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 17th February 2020, 08:40 PM

Default Exhaust tinkering

The D2 S8 has a donut-joint between the passenger side downpipe and cat, to allow the cat to be removed for access to the gearbox. Unfortunately most of them are looking pretty crusty by now, this one particularly so!

This is beyond salvation, and obviously unobtanium now - Prestige don't have any, and I don't have any good ones so time for a new solution.

Start with a 3D printed prototype to test fitment

That fitted the pipe quite well, so I sent the file to the local steel stockholder who CNC plasma cut me some flanges (minus small holes as the plasma won't cut them)

Drill mounting holes

Then stick it in the lathe and turn a chamfer in to one face to match the pipe

and then cut the lovely thing in half

Alas, this is the only way to get it on to the pipe.

Using the other flange, I bolted it all together to get it straight while back on the pipe. The pipe is covered in anti-spatter spray and I also used some aluminium foil between the new flange and the pipe so I didn't weld them both together.

Then attacked it with the mig, and we have this

I think this should work just fine, and I went slightly overkill and made it from 10mm plate, so it should last a few more years I need to do the same again to the cat which has the other side of this tomorrow, and then hopefully it will all bolt back together nicely
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	22880   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	22881   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	22882   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	22883   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	22884   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	22885   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	22886   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	22887   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	22888  
Old 17th February 2020, 09:55 PM

Flipping Nora. Wouldn't the world be a better place if MJ was in charge of it?!

Honestly, I think you are about five years away from restarting complete D2 production from Devon.

If you do I'll have one

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 18th February 2020, 07:47 AM

There are so many threads on here that make me think 'What have I done?'

Are you really attached to your day job MJ?
Old 18th February 2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit down, Waldo View Post
There are so many threads on here that make me think 'What have I done?'
#D2Life I plan to drive my D2 until the dinosaur squeezings run out, and I'll take as many others along for the ride as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit down, Waldo
Are you really attached to your day job MJ?
I hate it, but it pays the bills and means that D2s can still be fun. If I did them full time, it would stop being fun

Finished this off just now. The second piece was much easier having learned a few things on the first. We end up with this:

Pretty happy with that, although yes, 10mm plate was slightly overkill 8mm next time, and make the centre hole a bit larger too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	22896   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	22897   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	22898  
Old 18th February 2020, 06:32 PM

Very cool

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 18th February 2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
#D2Life I plan to drive my D2 until the dinosaur squeezings run out, and I'll take as many others along for the ride as possible
I plan to drive mine eventually
Old 19th February 2020, 11:17 AM

Hey you.

You should have said, think I have some more somewhere, I had them lasered, with the small holes

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 19th February 2020, 11:30 AM

I didn't want to draw your attention to the quality of my welding

The next batch I will get done with either a better plasma or a laser, but that has to go up to Tivvy and takes a few days. These were done by Conibeare's same-day so I couldn't be picky
Old 19th February 2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I didn't want to draw your attention to the quality of my welding

The next batch I will get done with either a better plasma or a laser, but that has to go up to Tivvy and takes a few days. These were done by Conibeare's same-day so I couldn't be picky
They're tough to weld and make it look pretty. Think the ones I had cut were 6 or 8 thk so didn't need the edge prep.

I've not had much luck with laser people, getting back is too much trouble, getting it done in the next week is to much trouble, unfortunately cant go stand next to the operator and give him sweets till it's done anymore.

Mirror polished Stainless next time

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 19th February 2020, 03:50 PM

I was putting my 3D brain into action and trying to think of another way of solving that without welding.....

Could you make each flange out of a pair of interlocking U-shaped pieces that slot onto the pipe, one from each side, maybe about 4mm thick? It should all pull together nicely once the bolts are fitted, though may need some clips (or just adhesive) to hold together while fixing?

I know a simple version as in my sketch won't apply pressure all round, that would need a protrusion on the second plate which might be tricky to make.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HalfFlange.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	22921  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 19th February 2020 at 04:07 PM.