A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21st September 2017, 08:38 PM

Ok gearbox stuff - how to change all the output seals on a 5HP24a or 5HP19FLA.

These are what we need - same parts for either gearbox:

01V 409 399 front right
01L 409 399 front left
018 409 399B rear for non-updated flange
SKF 6007C3 bearing from Simply Bearings

If you have the updated flange, the rear seal is 01V 409 399A. This is the difference between the two (018 on the left):

As we know, it doesn't seem to make much difference which you have - they both leak eventually. Given that the updated flange is £250-odd, fit the seal to suit the flange you have.

This one has been leaking for a while!

The flange just unbolts with a T40 torx and slides out. It might need some percussive encouragement! Covered in baked-on oil!

The rear seal is pretty simple - pop it out, press the new one in, bolt the flange back in and top up with oil.

The front right seal is much the same - a T40 bolt in the middle and it slides out.

Pop the seal out

Press the new one in

Use a couple of bolts and a bar to hold the flange still - this works for the rear one too.

The left seal is a little more involved. It comes out with the bearing housing and a shaft which goes through the gearbox to the diff. Remove three T40 bolts and it will push itself out as there is a spring in the end. If you did the right side first, most of the oil will already have drained out.

This is the shaft assembly

There's a circlip to remove to get the shaft out

You could press this out, but I don't actually have a press so I use a vice and a BFH With the alloy mounting flange sitting on the vice jaws and the steel output flange between the jaws, a good whack on the end with the BFH will have the shaft out in a moment.

Both parts separated:

Clean the oil off the shaft and stick it in the freezer. More on that in a bit.

Now you can get to the oil seal and pop that out

Drift the bearing out

The original bearing is an SKF 6007C3. 6007 is a standard size. C3 has larger internal clearances to allow operation at high speed / temperature - perfect for gearboxes.

Clean up the housing in the parts washer, then press the new oil seal in

Flip it over and press the bearing in. This taps in easily with a rubber hammer.

Speedo sensor back in the housing, and the shaft nice and cold (I left it for 2 hours while I did some other jobs) and its ready to reassemble

I forgot to get a pic of the next bit, but with the bearing side down & sitting on the vice, put the shaft back in and with a bit of BFH action it drops back in to the bearing. With the shaft nice and cold it takes much less effort to get it back in than was required to get it out. You could of course use a press instead of a BFH

This is with it pressed back in

Circlip back on and the assembly is complete again

Bolt it back in to the gearbox and its done

I'll re-fill both diffs with oil once its attached to the engine & gearbox jig so its properly level.

Since the gearbox is working nicely, the sump isn't leaking, and the ATF is in good condition, we're leaving that alone for now. I'll just top it up once everything is back together and a full fluid change can be a job for the sucky-pumpy-squirty machine at some point in the future.