A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 29th September 2018, 07:58 AM

Default Steering wheel adjustment problems

I have some problems with steering wheel memory/tilt-function on my 1997 S8. Usually, the steering wheel retracts as it should as I take the key out of the ignition, but when I get back to car and switch on the ignition, the steering wheel does not adjust back to its memory position.

Now, if I press the seat memory button, the steering wheel most commonly adjusts to its position. However, sometimes nothing happens, I just hear the "click" on the driver's seat (where the control box is, I guess), and the seat adjusts if it is out of its memory position, but nothing happens with the steering wheel.

Lastly, I have found my battery dead two times. Yesterday I found out that after the steering wheel had retracted (the key is out of ignition) there are random clicking and knocking noises from steering wheel column. Definitely, some sort of electrical problem and not normal, and I think also the reason for my dead battery. If I push out the memory function button from the steering column, the noises stop.

So anyway, my question is; where is the steering wheel memory module etc. located? Is it the same module as for the seats? The seat memory works as it should, btw. Has anyone had problems with steering wheel memory? Didn't find any previous discussion.

S8 quattro 6-gang PF / 200 quattro 20V / 944 Turbo / 500 SEC

Instagram @hptalli
Old 30th September 2018, 08:40 PM

From a quick look at the wiring diagrams, the memory control module for steering column (and belt height) is under the "Left Front seat" which I guess is independent of whether its RHD or LHD. It all part of the Driver's memory seat circuit.
Hope this helps.
Old 7th October 2020, 06:44 PM

Just for information, there was some problem on the control box. I replaced it and everything is good. It is located under the driver's seat, black box in the picture. (LHD car)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4390.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	24133  

S8 quattro 6-gang PF / 200 quattro 20V / 944 Turbo / 500 SEC

Instagram @hptalli