A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 3rd April 2019, 07:58 AM

That's just how they are when they are new Same material as far as I can tell, but younger and less brittle obviously. The aftermarket pads are slightly more brown than the new genuine ones but seem to be also the same material.

The old pads in Stephen's are exactly the same colour so I think its more to do with the material ageing than picking up dirt from the oil.
Old 3rd April 2019, 09:11 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

It’s starting to go back together again. How exciting!

Were the old tensioners visibly knackered, or can’t you really tell - apart from the rattle?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:35 AM

There are no visual clues which ones rattle and which ones don't unfortunately.

I have discovered something interesting though - there is a tiny wire gauze in the oil feed to the tensioner to stop debris getting in. Odd, since the oil filter is much finer, but they do trap debris so they obviously have a purpose. On many of the tensioners I remove, this gauze is either broken or missing, which means it has gone through the tensioner! Now debris or not, a small chunk of stainless wire going through something containing rubber o-rings is not going to do it a lot of good! I have a theory that when this gauze disintegrates, this is what causes the tensioner to start rattling since it trashes the o-rings. On that basis, they may well be better off without the gauze and just take the tiny amount of debris that turns up. I will build an engine up like this in the summer and see what it does long term.

Curiously, this is a known issue with the W engines, except in those the gauze apparently ruins the tensioner rather than just making them rattle. It's a $10K job for the W8 Passat at dealer rates!

Another job for the summer is to build some sort of test rig for the tensioners. I plan to saw the end off one of my trashed heads and just use a couple of cam lobes and a tensioner to see if I can test good/bad/indifferent. That will also be useful if I can figure out how to rebuild them too.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 3rd April 2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 4th April 2019, 09:04 PM

These are the two old tensioners. Note the broken gauze on the right hand one. I wonder if it was only this one rattling because it's eaten some stainless steel wire? I might put the left one in another engine and see what happens.

Last nights update a little late:

The temperature sensor is totally rusted in to its socket. With overheating issues we're changing this as a precaution, plus with it seized in like this it would be a nightmare to change later on with the engine back in.

It has to be destroyed to get it out

The o-ring was totally perished and crusty so just as well we're changing it

Socket cleaned up ready for the new sensor

Water pipes back on the engine

This is my tool for fitting the crankshaft seal. Its a piece of exhaust tube that fits perfectly inside the old seal so it can be used as a drift to push the new seal in.

The bushing that drives the oil pump is swapped back to front when fitting a new seal so that the seal lip has fresh steel to run on. After 185K miles the rubber seal has worn a noticeable groove in the steel bushing

Timing gear all back on

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	21188   Click image for larger version

Name:	81.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	21189   Click image for larger version

Name:	82.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	21190   Click image for larger version

Name:	83.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	21191   Click image for larger version

Name:	84.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	21192   Click image for larger version

Name:	85.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	21193   Click image for larger version

Name:	86.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	21194   Click image for larger version

Name:	87.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	21195   Click image for larger version

Name:	88.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	21196   Click image for larger version

Name:	90.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	21197  

Name:	91.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	21198   Click image for larger version

Name:	92.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	21199  
Old 4th April 2019, 09:30 PM

Tonight's progress:

I don't know why people say the oil cooler pipe is really difficult. Just turn the engine on it's side The aluminium cooler pipe is fitted to the block here

This is the old plastic pipe - split at both o-ring grooves so the o-rings were stopping it leaking for now

Oil cooler housing back on

I removed and cleaned the oil pump pickup gauze but forgot to take a before pic! It had a few chunks of carbon debris and old silicone sealer in it so I cleaned those out and put it back together

Not many people get to see their engine like this Its so much easier to do the sump like this though!

Cleaning old silicone out of all the bolt holes is most vexing!

Sealing flange all cleaned up

Sealant applied

Bolts torqued and a nice even-ish bead of sealant all round the sump

This damn oil sensor! This was leaking because the seal (missing from the pic sorry) was perished but you can't buy the seal on its own - you have to buy a new sensor for £loads Luckily I had a duff sensor with a good seal in left over from the sump I got from A8parts for Stephen's car so swapped the seal over and put the good sensor back in

I subconsciously registered that there was something odd about the oil filter housing when I took it off, but only twigged what it was when I went to put it back. Jim's on the left, a spare of mine on the right. The support structure for the filter is missing! Its not in the old filter which means at some point in the past someone has managed to snap it off when removing the filter and 'not noticed' I sense another call to Maria in my future...

One thing that really annoys me about these cartridge filters is that its impossible to fill the filter with oil when changing it. This means on restart the engine is starved of oil pressure for a moment while the pump fills the filter.

With the engine upside-down I can pre-fill the filter, so I do

Back together with my spare filter housing which I shall replace with one from A8parts

It'll stay upside down overnight to allow the sump sealer to set completely before refilling with oil.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	93.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	21200   Click image for larger version

Name:	94.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	21201   Click image for larger version

Name:	95.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	21202   Click image for larger version

Name:	96.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	21203   Click image for larger version

Name:	97.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	21204   Click image for larger version

Name:	98.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	21205   Click image for larger version

Name:	99.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	21206   Click image for larger version

Name:	100.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	21207   Click image for larger version

Name:	101.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	21208   Click image for larger version

Name:	102.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	21209  

Name:	103.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	21210   Click image for larger version

Name:	104.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	21211   Click image for larger version

Name:	105.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	21212   Click image for larger version

Name:	106.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	21213  
Old 5th April 2019, 02:38 PM

Love that, great work.

Mine at 197,000 probably needs the D2 Doctor Platinum service in the near future.
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--
Old 5th April 2019, 08:56 PM

The 'valley pan' gasket has been bugging me a while - it's responsible for all the oil under the inlet manifold, but has been on back order. Luckily, it arrived this morning

This is the old one - no re-using that!

New one in place

Cover on

The knock sensor plugs disintegrated as I removed them, which is a very common problem.

New Bosch sensor in place, hiding under the inlet manifold

The other one is easier to get to

The viscous fan bearing was worn out and very noisy. £loads for a new one and also on back order, but luckily I had a low mileage used one in stock

Removing the engine from the stand since I don't need to turn it over any more

and back on the separating table so I can get to the crank main seal, then it can be reattached to the gearbox

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	107.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	21216   Click image for larger version

Name:	108.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	21217   Click image for larger version

Name:	109.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	21218   Click image for larger version

Name:	110.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	21219   Click image for larger version

Name:	111.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	21220   Click image for larger version

Name:	112.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	21221   Click image for larger version

Name:	113.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	21222   Click image for larger version

Name:	114.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	21223   Click image for larger version

Name:	115.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	21224   Click image for larger version

Name:	116.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	21225  

Old 6th April 2019, 10:15 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
New Bosch sensor in place, hiding under the inlet manifold
Ah, so that's where it lives!

I had one fail a few months ago. Fortunately it was the other one, which is much easier to get to, but I bought two new ones and asked the garage to replace both. They replaced the faulty one but decided to leave the other one because they couldn't find it. We guessed that it might be under the inlet manifold but I couldn't find any info or photos confirming it.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 6th April 2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Let’s name and shame, shall we? The “gorillas” who did the last belt change were from AudiTechnik in Glasgow. Thanks guys!
That'll be the same crowd whom you got to change the belt on my car when you owned it and didnt change all the pulleys/tensioners and didnt use "genuine Audi parts" as they specify in the adverts..........

Fantastic and informative thread MJ
At 115k I think that mine needs a thorough look at in the next year.
Old 6th April 2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
The viscous fan bearing was worn out and very noisy. £loads for a new one and also on back order, but luckily I had a low mileage used one in stock
Have you looked into changing bearing(s) for it? Mine is noisy as well, not sure if PF and FL is the same. New ones from dealer too much money and I don't think there are any aftermarket alternatives.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure