A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Transmission

D4 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 14th August 2016, 07:45 PM

Default D4 owners, feedback about transmission needed

hi

I'm wondering if any of you noticed any issues with transmission when engine cold. I find gear changes quite rough while engine is still cold. When it reaches normal working temperature it gets smooth. l know that when transmission oil is cold it can cause higher friction. I have 8hp55a gearbox in my car and I found thread on BMW forum regarding 8hp55(letter 'a' in 8HP55a indicates use only for Audi as it has quattro feature). BMW owners have the same views about that gearbox, harsh when cold.

what are your view about this?
Old 14th August 2016, 08:11 PM

Not an issue that I have noticed on mine......it does seem to hold gears longer when cold, presumably to aid warm up?
Old 16th August 2016, 08:18 PM

My 2011 3.0TDI can be quite rough when cold, most noticeable when selecting reverse. I have had the ATF changed and it didnt make any difference.
By comparison my old 6 speed D3 was smoother when cold but nothing as "Clever" in terms of seamless/fast changes you get on the D4.
Old 16th August 2016, 09:24 PM

If its a DSG box, there's your answer.
Old 16th August 2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
If its a DSG box, there's your answer.
It isn't a DSG box.
Old 18th August 2016, 06:36 PM

The 2014 3.0tdi I'm using at the moment is perfectly smooth when cold, same as when warm.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 19th August 2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
It isn't a DSG box.
So what kind of box is it? Does is pre-select the gears?
Old 26th August 2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2.0E View Post
My 2011 3.0TDI can be quite rough when cold, most noticeable when selecting reverse. I have had the ATF changed and it didnt make any difference.
By comparison my old 6 speed D3 was smoother when cold but nothing as "Clever" in terms of seamless/fast changes you get on the D4.
thanks for reply guys, my Gmail app wasn't updating emails and I thought nobody reply.

like Joe2 I do experience rough changes when cold, I had ATF changed, but before I did that I had new software updated by audi. I'm thinking to do one more time ATF change and maybe ask Audi to do adaptation, reset everything in transmission ecu. so basically transmission will start learning from beginning. Or maybe someone on this forum knows how to do that through Vcds?

question to Joe2 - do you know what type ATF did garage use when they changed for you? my used according to specification by manufacturer but I think they should use proper ZF lifeguard 8. Next time I will use that one.
Old 26th August 2016, 08:07 PM

I used my local Audi Dealer to do the ATF change and they used the Audi branded ATF fluid. I'll check the part no.s from the invoice and update the thread when I have them to hand.
It would appear to be a common issue with the 8 speed ZF box on F10 BMW's if you have a look on some Beemer forums.
The ATF change made no obvious difference with my car but overall its still a fantastic autobox. I suspect the issue may be software related rather than an issue with the ATF.
Unless it gets worse, I'm not too concerned.
Old 26th August 2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2.0E View Post
I used my local Audi Dealer to do the ATF change and they used the Audi branded ATF fluid. I'll check the part no.s from the invoice and update the thread when I have them to hand.
It would appear to be a common issue with the 8 speed ZF box on F10 BMW's if you have a look on some Beemer forums.
The ATF change made no obvious difference with my car but overall its still a fantastic autobox. I suspect the issue may be software related rather than an issue with the ATF.
Unless it gets worse, I'm not too concerned.

i agree it is still fantastic gearbox, just this issue when cold. as you mentioned BMW users are complaining too, I found actually thread about 1 series but if you say f10 has issue as well then I will not worry so much. also as you said ATF change didn't cure it, so I also think it is more software related. over 60k miles on mine