A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 18th November 2016, 07:55 AM

Default The Grand Tour

First episode available today. Anybody watched it yet? I am downloading now will whatch later.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th November 2016, 08:51 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Not yet but very much looking forward to watching it over the weekend
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 18th November 2016, 08:46 PM

Just watched it. Very enjoyable and entertaining

Stunning production quality too.

Looking forward the next episode already.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 18th November 2016, 09:08 PM

Watched it lunch time and it was great to see them muppets back in the screen.

I've got to say Top Gear is so finished.

This first series is looking pretty good. New track in a shape of Ebola virus is intreating as well especially with no run off areas and a mix of smooth and bumpy tarmac.
You can see the amount of money spent on it straight away.
A bit of bad silly acting mid episode which is nothing new, just not the biggest fan of it.
Nice selection of HyperCars, P1

What I personally love very very much is the the 4K, I was waiting for a good motoring show with this picture and effects quality for some time...especially after watching Apex on Netflix about making the latest Koenigseg and it's hard way to beat the fastest lap at Nurburgring and Spa all in 4K as well - gorgeousness.

Can't wait for the next episode

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 18th November 2016, 09:18 PM

Watched it this morning, think it will kill what remains of old Top Gear.
The same on screen banter and fooling about is there which is where the old show scored.

....wonder how long before the Stig defects?

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 18th November 2016, 09:22 PM

Nice S8 plus at 7 minutes 58 seconds. In a preview clip for a forthcoming episode
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 18th November 2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
I've got to say Top Gear is so finished.
My thoughts exactly.

I mean, ok, it has its place ... Lower the budget, put it on Channel 5 and give it a new name (6th Gear, perhaps?) and it might last a few more seasons.

What makes this show different to the weak imitation show the Beeb have been left with is entertainment. Like the former Top Gear, The Grand Tour is entertaining. It's fun to watch and not not just for petrol heads. Sure, it's contrived and scripted (just like the old show was), but who cares? ... you're not meant to take it seriously. Certainly I think Amazon has backed the winner here.

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 18th November 2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 18th November 2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kele View Post
Nice S8 plus at 7 minutes 58 seconds. In a preview clip for a forthcoming episode
Silver one isn't it where May was hanging thru the window shooting machine gun...completely forgot about that short clip, well looking forward to this episode as well

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 18th November 2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
My thoughts exactly.

I mean, ok, it has its place ... Lower the budget, put it on Channel 5 and give it a new name (6th Gear, perhaps?) and it might last a few more seasons.

What makes this show different to the weak imitation show the Beeb have been left with is entertainment. Like the former Top Gear, The Grand Tour is entertaining. It's fun to watch, not just for petrol heads. Sure, it's contrived and scripted (just like the old show was), but who cares? ... you're not meant to take it seriously. Certainly I think Amazon has backed the winner here.
Precisely, Top Gear wasn't about the cars or the track or celebrity guests, it was about Hamster, Shaved Ape and Captain Slow who has been actually clocked at 37mph and getting an actual ticket - too funny
They are the Show and Amazon has just scored big as you said, at the hefty price, but the franchise from it and profit they will make will pay for all that.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 19th November 2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Precisely, Top Gear wasn't about the cars or the track or celebrity guests, it was about Hamster, Shaved Ape and Captain Slow who has been actually clocked at 37mph and getting an actual ticket - too funny
Not so funny. I got a ticket for 35mph in the A8 a couple years ago... I was not best pleased