A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 10th June 2017, 04:03 PM

Original threads on what Michael did and I then procured from him are -
HERE and also HERE

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 10th June 2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiseuk View Post
straight through back box sounds like an interesting project.
Probably one of the best mods on a V8. The straight pipe just unleashes that V8 burble on startup and idle, and when you put your foot down... glorious sound!

I was quoted £80 from someone who does it locally.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 11th June 2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Probably one of the best mods on a V8. The straight pipe just unleashes that V8 burble on startup and idle, and when you put your foot down... glorious sound!

I was quoted £80 from someone who does it locally.
.....Has anyone cut open the back box, gutted the gubbins and run 2 straight pipes through. Keeps the OEM look, no issues with MOT and more burble?

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 11th June 2017, 07:55 PM

Question Are we counting the 20 interested folks or what?

If I know the cost I would commit.

Being committed is what I is good at... M.

Robert
Old 20th June 2017, 02:56 PM

I got a back box from our forum sponsors a while ago so I could gut the internals. So far I've removed the top of the silencer casing to see whats inside and how to re-pipe it inside, sorry dont have pics yet, but theres only 2 pipes need cutting/replacing in there, one pipe looks easy enough to replace but the second pipe looks a bit more involved because of the angles/routing of the second pipe as inside the silencer itself is just pipes and baffle plates which need to be removed before I can install new pipes in there. Hopefully pictures to follow but please dont hold your breathe as the weather has been so good I've been spending most of my free time out on my bike lol!
Old 26th June 2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Just straight-pipe the back box. Neil's 3.7 sounds gorgeous

I'm going to do it to mine as soon as it stops being broken - I'll document what I do, and make jigs so I can repeat it
By straight pipe, do you mean a straight through style muffler (so a straight perforated pipe with sound deadening still in the box)?
Or straight solid pipes replacing the muffler?

I had a straight through cat back system on my old V8 Commodore. Single system 2.5" straight through muffler and resonator.
Sounded bloody fantastic and I'd love to repeat the experience with the S8.

The S8 is a single pipe between the two boxes yes? Is it 63mm (ie: 2.5")?
It would be quite easy to get an exhaust place to make up a straight through resonator with off the shelf piping and box.
So long as there's a resonator there, it shouldn't fail MOT there should it?

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 26th June 2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
By straight pipe, do you mean a straight through style muffler (so a straight perforated pipe with sound deadening still in the box)?
Or straight solid pipes replacing the muffler?
Check out the photos in this post that Neil linked to above:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....42&postcount=1

It shows exactly what was done.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 26th June 2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiseuk View Post
.....Has anyone cut open the back box, gutted the gubbins and run 2 straight pipes through. Keeps the OEM look, no issues with MOT and more burble?
Tennohund from A8freunde did this and welded up the back box back up. I believe he did the same thing to the middle box. He had several youtubes and the sound was really good (to my ear anyway). Unfortunately he removed most of the clips. Actually one clip still remains, found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmTBmFLsGUY&t=22s

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/spor...55.html?page=3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tennohund back box.JPG
Views:	676
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	16429  

Last edited by Goran; 26th June 2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 26th June 2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
The S8 is a single pipe between the two boxes yes? Is it 63mm (ie: 2.5")?
Two 55mm pipes...
Really should pay more attention when I'm climbing around under it on the hoist!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 26th June 2017, 02:39 PM

Straight pipe as in two parallel pipes from the middle box to the tailpipes, Just like Neil's although I'll make the join in the straight section. Its perfectly MoT friendly - as long as its not leaking or ear-bleedingly loud they don't care what boxes go where. That would be important in Germany though as TÜV does care that the stock exhaust is still intact (unless you have paperwork for a certified aftermarket system) so Tennohund's mod makes sense in that context.

55mm stainless is a pain to get hold of and has to come from Germany as everything in the UK is imperial sizes. A4 TDI exhausts are 55mm though so I may just cut one of those up and re-use that to make the join and then weld that to some standard 57mm stainless. Tailpipe choice is the next thing to figure out, as the S8's stock tip is a bit weedy by modern standards. I'm thinking a couple of 75mm black chrome Q5 tailpipes might look quite nice instead

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 26th June 2017 at 02:42 PM.