A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 3rd March 2015, 06:42 AM

Default parking sensor

Hi Guys
With a replacment parking sensor do you have to get a colour match or does it just fit in behind the bumper?
Old 3rd March 2015, 07:09 AM

They are supplied unpainted and need to be painted to match the car. Depending on which sensor has failed, the bumper may need to be removed to get access. I've replaced the passenger front on mine, access was difficult but not impossible with the bumper still in place. Both the centre fronts require bumper removal, the drivers front will need the airbox removing to get access. I've left mine unpainted for now, so I have three silver and one black in the front.

Genuine new replacement sensors, which is the one I purchased.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3215698959...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Do not be fooled by those visible clips, the whole sensor is completely bonded and sealed and the only way to remove that front part will destroy the sensor.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 3rd March 2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 5th March 2015, 01:00 PM

thanks for that i got the sensor cant find any install videos for the A8 its the back left so im hoping its not to hard? ant tips apriciated
Old 5th March 2015, 04:25 PM

I wrote a guide for the one I replaced.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7958

No pictures though, but its fairly self explanatory.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 5th March 2015, 10:12 PM

It just needs a good reach around for the rear sensors and undoing of a couple of screws that hold the middle of the bumper underneath, I had 2 sensors knackered when I picked my car up, bought some paint off ebay and it came with primer and lacquer, sprayed them up myself and put them in the oven on low heat to cure, don't lay the paint on too thick as itll effect the sensor, bit of G3 to flatten the lacquer and shine it up and they where good to go, they weren't a perfect colour match but mine being Aqua pearl blue iirc would be harder to just match without comparing anyway, but it's hardly noticeable being just the sensor and I can live with it, you can only tell if you look for it.
Old 7th March 2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles View Post
It just needs a good reach around for the rear sensors and undoing of a couple of screws that hold the middle of the bumper underneath, I had 2 sensors knackered when I picked my car up, bought some paint off ebay and it came with primer and lacquer, sprayed them up myself and put them in the oven on low heat to cure, don't lay the paint on too thick as itll effect the sensor, bit of G3 to flatten the lacquer and shine it up and they where good to go, they weren't a perfect colour match but mine being Aqua pearl blue iirc would be harder to just match without comparing anyway, but it's hardly noticeable being just the sensor and I can live with it, you can only tell if you look for it.
I just installed the rear left sensor had to unscrew three screws in the wheel arch the then ease the bumped out just the clips then i could get my arm in the back of the bumper which let me get the sensor out. now the for the headache getting the bloody plug off this took me ages as there isnt enough wire to get it down to a good working level there is a little clip on one side that causes the sh1t. anyway finally got it off with a screwdriver you have to be careful tho not to break the plug. once off the new sensor was in place and the bumper back in place in 5 minutes