A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 1st September 2014, 05:06 PM

Default Auto Wipers -WIP

Just done (well still work in progress) auto wiper mod... and so far pleased with the results....

Involves swapping the Wiper control module (located in the passenger footwell), & mounting the rain sensor on the windscreen and connecting 3 wires.

1 is a gnd so easy enough to connect into the roof area where the light, sunroof control is and then simply run the other 2 down and connect to 2 of the extra pins on the wiper control module you swapped out. You could either solder the wires to the pins and pass then through the holder or order the pins and probably dismantle fit etc.

Mine was both from a Bora but Golf and many other are the same just the first bit of the part number will be different (based on platform).

I temp taped my sensor to the window (using glass tape) and at some point will buy the sensor mount and plastic cable channel to finish it off.

Lots of people that seem to do this mod replace the windscreen and often also do the auto dim mirror but (on other models). But I'm not fussed about the sensor being offset.. it;s just to the side of my rear view mirror. So from in the car I can't see it anyway.

Basically you leave the wipers in delay mode and the time delay switch on the wipers and becomes the sensitivity.

Light rain they randomly go and when stopped in traffic or slow moving even less so (as also car speed sensitive). When driving faster wiper more again partly because of speed and also more rain will be hitting the sensor... and if mega bad they actually switch to fast speed...

Still not perfect.... but I now like the fact that when stopped or in slow moving traffic I'm not having to mess with any setting as they change very well....

I managed to pick my two bits need from e-bay for £20 which was a great price... I believe the mount and plastic channel (from dealer) will be about another £8.

Have got a few pics, but think I will have to take some using my camera as my phone since last update seems to hide them in no mans land..... (modern tech.... grrr)

Daz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auto Wipers Control Mod & Sensor.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	8971  

Last edited by Daz 70; 1st September 2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: mistakes (lol)
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:51 PM

Cool mod! well done.
Dave

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 4th September 2014, 07:34 AM

I'm impressed.

How does the whole thing know the cars speed etc.

Like how you didn't even use parts from the car, how did you come to work out you could pinch bits from another model?

Old 4th September 2014, 01:08 PM

That is funky

Delboy - was never even an option on the D2 so has to be a parts bin special, although I wasn't aware it was even possible! I've got an auto dim mirror from a D2 to wire up as well as my long overdue solar roof install so would seem sensible to run some extra wiring through 'just in case' I feel the urge at some point!

Not sure if there's a mirror from the VAG range that will clip into the normal mounting position on a D2 and also has the rain sensor in it?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 4th September 2014, 02:41 PM

Even the normal wipers had a connection from the speed signal (so when in time delay mode) this would adjust the delay slighty when going quicker, however as rain can be so random from 1 min to the next still required either changing the time delay on the switch or then flicking to 1 speed or 2 speed from time to time manually of course.

As for rain sensor, this was not an option on the A8 (D2) but was not really available on anything back then....

There is are a few after market kits that you can buy and fit, but these all require a lot more hacking / re wiring... and I didn't fancy this option.

Looking at other models in the Audi / VW range as a lot of parts that can end up being the same... all be it the first part of the number will reference the platform.

In my case because I have an Older A8 as in 1997 I needed to get something from the Audi / VW range before the newer can bus systems or at least before it was all hooked into it, as I was not sure how easy it would be to then work around or even add other bits just to accommodate the mod on later parts.

For example the later rain sensor's (from what I can work out) come with a light sensor for Auto Headlights (another thing I'm still WIP on) but appears to then use the two wires to talk to the control module (which we don't have of course) and in turn sends signals to other units... So would not be as simple as adding the new type as you would need to either convert the signals or add other stuff ...

Hope this makes some sense...

I did think about fitting a solar sunroof myself... however in my case I would pob mod it so it would charge the battery. But I guess it's a nice mod to do, helping to keep the car that bit cooler in the sun.

Daz
Old 4th March 2015, 12:48 PM

Default Headlight washer

I took a look at the electrical diagrams for Golf/Bora which uses this relay and I noticed that it did not have any connection to the headlight washer system?

Maybe that was not an option for these cars, but the relay still supports it?
Old 4th March 2015, 06:51 PM

Resolved! Further digging led me to a diagram with the headlight option.

Ordering the parts now. Found a relay. Haven't found a sensor yet.
Old 4th March 2015, 07:01 PM

Another nice bod Daz. Can you tell us the part number from the sensor, as I can't make it out? Might have to pull up the carpets to see where the relay will go before deciding if I try it.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 5th March 2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToreBj View Post
Resolved! Further digging led me to a diagram with the headlight option.

Ordering the parts now. Found a relay. Haven't found a sensor yet.
Well I have to go back on this. The headlight version didn't have the rain sensor connection. Something happened during 1998-2000 where an integrated version of rain sensor and dimmed interior mirror was produced. I don't see any version with both functionalities?

Daz 70, can you confirm that you still have the headlight washer function intact? (assuming you have headlight washer)
Old 4th July 2015, 05:56 AM

Default Sensor

The sensor part number (based on info i saved on my laptop) was 1J0955559, the control unit is in the passanger (UK) footwell basically behind the wooden panel with the 4 screws.

As to headlight washers... my car does not have them (something else I might, do... dum de dum dum).... but the control relay I have does include the headlight wash function... basically it has the extra 3 pins on the bottom row (again going from memory)

Later cars even had the option to then close the sunroof & windows....

Daz