A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 21st December 2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
And for two car owners it's even better - I can only drive one car at a time, so paying full whack tax on two cars isn't justified.

As for insurance, almost all policies these days are costed on how many miles you declare you will be driving, so this is already part of the price of insurance.
Two great points, and I agree with one of them. Up until February this year, I only had the one car, so no issues. However, I then acquired the S8, and shortly afterwards, decided that I wanted to take better care of the D2 A8, and ended up buying a D3 A8 from IT (Ian), and now have three, and as you say, you can only drive one at a time. The D2 has been SORNed since April/May and will remain so until I clean it up, and the S8 will be SORNed before the end of this month until the weather improves again.

The one thing I did find, with my insurer anyway, is that they don't take mileage into account... or so they say. A year or so ago when going for renewal, I noticed a mistake in my policy where they had me down as 'Retired'. I corrected them to have me listed as 'Unemployed' (which I am), and their response was that it would cost me an extra £75! When asked why, they said because as 'Unemployed', I would be driving more and would therefore be more at risk of having an accident.

Fast forward to August this year when I had to renew the policy on the D2, and I changed the mileage from 10,000 to 2,000. The revised price for the shorted mileage was zero. I queried that with them, and mentioned the previous incident, and got the standard response of "that's how it is".

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Unable to quote me on both my cars too, something about being incompatible with their "Miles Tracker" whatever that might be
When I was on their site yesterday, checking things out, I used their chat session to ask a few questions, and one of them specifically related to the A8s ability to block GPS signals, as that is how their 'Miles Tracker' works. It appears they do have issues with some cars, but if they really wanted the business, I don't see why they couldn't send one out to you to try (with say a refundable deposit). It is basically an ODB adaptor that records your mileage and has GPS capabilities built-in, and sends that data back to them on a regular basis.

I've put my name down to be informed when/if they come to Northern Ireland, and will definitely be pushing to get an adaptor to try first.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds