A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 7th July 2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
Car sold and picked up today.
You know you will miss it
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 7th July 2019, 08:57 PM

Hi guys, was a pleasure to meet Ollie, car is lovely and a testament to him.
Managed 24mpg on the way home, Ollie informed me his best was 25mpg so I was trying to beat that!
I'm sure I'll be posting on the forums asking questions when I'm stumped, the dab signal was very hit and miss on the way home, I'm guessing this is normal? Is there a way to boost the signal so it doesn't drop out or stop so often?
Old 8th July 2019, 10:12 AM

Welcome Furryhobnob, you have purchased a lovely car. DAB does have it's black spots which is probably down to the lack of signal in the area rather than the vehicle having a fault. If I travels towards Rugby there is always a black spot.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 8th July 2019, 02:49 PM

Yeah I travelled from Chelmsford to Leicestershire so went past rugby, it was very hit and miss all the way home though not just near rugby, occupied with the kids at the minute but will try and investigate when I have a spare moment.
I think I may need to buy a vcds cable, I have used one before in my a6 avant but have a carista dongle now, doesn't have anywhere near as much use as vcds but is quite decent for the price.
Old 8th July 2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furryhobnob View Post
Yeah I travelled from Chelmsford to Leicestershire so went past rugby, it was very hit and miss all the way home though not just near rugby, occupied with the kids at the minute but will try and investigate when I have a spare moment.
I think I may need to buy a vcds cable, I have used one before in my a6 avant but have a carista dongle now, doesn't have anywhere near as much use as vcds but is quite decent for the price.
VCDS is a brilliant tool and I recommend it to anyone who has a VAG car. Even if it is just used for scanning, it will soon pay for itself.
Old 8th July 2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
VCDS is a brilliant tool and I recommend it to anyone who has a VAG car. Even if it is just used for scanning, it will soon pay for itself.
Agreed, will check on here or audi sport for a second hand one I think
Old 8th July 2019, 11:31 PM

DAB can be patchy all over.

I travel by car across the country for work (in a BMW) and have the same issues from time to time.

I'd say the worst spot is the M6 through the Lake District
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 9th July 2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furryhobnob View Post
Agreed, will check on here or audi sport for a second hand one I think
Some info that might be helpful. The old (V1) VCDS is perfect and had no limitations on the number of cars it can be used on. It works fully on cars up to 2015-ish and is limited after that.
The new (V2) come in 3, 10 and unlimited VINs (3 or 10 VIN can be upgraded to unlimited). They work on all cars up to the present day. Both will work fully on your car.

As the V1's are unlimited, they have started fetching silly money (£250+). They will lose support in the future but at the moment are fully supported. There have been a couple on sale here at a reasonable price of around £150.

The V2's are circa £225 for 3 VIN and £299 for 10 VIN. They will also remain to be supported. Personally, Ii would buy a V2 unless you can get a V1 for less than £180. Just to add, the new V2's only use a VIN if you change a parameter via coding or service reset etc. Fault scanning does not use a VIN.

Hope that helps
Old 10th July 2019, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Some info that might be helpful. The old (V1) VCDS is perfect and had no limitations on the number of cars it can be used on. It works fully on cars up to 2015-ish and is limited after that.
The new (V2) come in 3, 10 and unlimited VINs (3 or 10 VIN can be upgraded to unlimited). They work on all cars up to the present day. Both will work fully on your car.

As the V1's are unlimited, they have started fetching silly money (£250+). They will lose support in the future but at the moment are fully supported. There have been a couple on sale here at a reasonable price of around £150.

The V2's are circa £225 for 3 VIN and £299 for 10 VIN. They will also remain to be supported. Personally, Ii would buy a V2 unless you can get a V1 for less than £180. Just to add, the new V2's only use a VIN if you change a parameter via coding or service reset etc. Fault scanning does not use a VIN.

Hope that helps
That's great info, much appreciated
Old 10th July 2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
DAB can be patchy all over.
It can indeed.

Quality is also questionable in a lot of circumstances, it was one of those things that could have been AMAZING but didn't properly take off in the UK, with support and uptake being mediocre!

The biggest disappointment apart from patchy signal is the bit rate, it went much more down the quantity of stations over the quality and as such a lot of it is very low rate mono with the FM Stereo being a better sound!!!

Special interest and talk stations work best, I did find a funky 80s station, but it was very broad strokes with big hits and whilst No Repeat that was per day and the avertising always gets to me too

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)