gutted to see this! so upsetting

Hopefully can get it sorted maybe dent repair and smart repair with paint
Mercedes Benz CLS 500 - Sold
Corsa VXR Nurburgring - Sold
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 20th April 2019, 07:10 PM

Sorry to hear Mark.

My kids are still quite young so I have not experienced the problem but from what I heard from friends and colleagues they cannot even give them a good spanking without kids complaining at school or telephone helpline and getting social services involved and potentially loosing kids. I am not saying that spanking or any other physical punishment is an answer to all questions but at some points it's the best way to get the message accross.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 20th April 2019, 08:17 PM

+1 on Connor.

And don't start me me on corporal punishment, If I'd gone home and told Dad that a policeman had clipped my ear I would of got something much more and sent to bed without any supper.
Kids today don't believe me when I tell them things like that.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 20th April 2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
I can't let a discussion about kids go by without mentioning Connor, son of briang9. I attended an A8 Parts open day in 2013, knew nobody prior, so turned up in my D2 feeling a bit apprehensive. Connor was the first person to approach me, introduced himself, talked about Audi's for a short time, made me feel at home immediately.

That takes some confidence for a kid, but I think it's more an indication of being "brought up right" and having good manners from an early age. He's a credit to his parents.
Thanks Ron...he has always been very confident and I guess that's why he is in the job he is (Product Genius with BMW)..more of a hobby he gets paid for but his enthusiasm for all things automotive must shine through.

He's doing even better now he's got rid of the BMW and bought a proper car

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 20th April 2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:50 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Thanks guys.

I'm planning to phone the garage/bodyshop tomorrow to get it booked in, hopefully in plenty of time to have it ready for the trip down to Cornwall.

Agreed about Connor, although he was a young adult by the time I met him. For all I know he might have been a complete [insert preferred expletive here] when he was a kid

Either way, he's a credit to you Brian and it's always great to see him at the meets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
My kids are still quite young so I have not experienced the problem but from what I heard from friends and colleagues they cannot even give them a good spanking without kids complaining at school or telephone helpline and getting social services involved and potentially loosing kids. I am not saying that spanking or any other physical punishment is an answer to all questions but at some points it's the best way to get the message accross.
It was still common to receive a few whacks from the cane or 'slipper' when I was at school. It was a bit of an outdated practice even then (~30 years ago) but I went to an 'old school' grammar school that practised old-fashioned discipline. You certainly never did anything wrong twice and we all turned out ok, I think.

Slipper and cane might be a bit OTT/extreme but I think punishment has now reached the other extreme (ie none). There has to be some middle-ground, even Homer knows that ...

------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 22nd April 2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
It was still common to receive a few whacks from the cane or 'slipper' when I was at school. It was a bit of an outdated practice even then (~30 years ago) but I went to an 'old school' grammar school that practised old-fashioned discipline. You certainly never did anything wrong twice and we all turned out ok, I think.
I went to a grammar school run by Catholic priests, and boy, did they know how to discipline you. I fell foul a couple of times for minor indiscretions, and after getting 'six of the best' with a half inch thick leather strap, you didn't need gloves to keep your hands warm. I do remember one pupil getting his head shoved into the brick wall behind him for 'talking in class'.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 22nd April 2019, 03:01 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I went to a grammar school run by Catholic priests, and boy, did they know how to discipline you. I fell foul a couple of times for minor indiscretions, and after getting 'six of the best' with a half inch thick leather strap, you didn't need gloves to keep your hands warm. I do remember one pupil getting his head shoved into the brick wall behind him for 'talking in class'.
I'm picturing Father Jack as a teacher now. But I can imagine how, as a young boy, it must've been terrifying to have a Catholic priest take a disliking to you. And even more terrifying if they took a liking to you!!

Our school was pretty strict too. Most of the teachers still wore capes and mortar boards, which helped to instil a feeling of authority I think. I suspect a priest's attire would do the same. We had one teacher known as Horace (nobody knew where the nickname originated, he was actually called Ian Stevenson) who was VERY strict. He was a 6ft-odd middle-aged English teacher with a booming voice that struck terror into you whenever he called out your name. In his lessons, if you so much as looked away from the front when he was talking, or fidgeted, he would sneak up behind your desk and throw your books onto the floor. With a booming voice like Windsor Davies in It Ain't Half Hot Mum, you would be instructed to pick your books up and meet him outside the staff room at lunch time for detention.

Funny thing is, he was probably the best teacher I've ever had and I learned so much in his lessons!

But the even funnier thing was, he drove a Citroen 2CV Dolly

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust