A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 16th June 2021, 05:51 PM

and...even later to this...I had been noticing a wet patch behind the OS front wheel for a while now and the washer fluid level needing top-up not long after previous top-up. I pulled driver side foglight grill and found split in the pipe feeding the OS headlight washer that didn't take much to break completely. That said, there was no water coming out of either side headlight washer. I'm after buying a whole new piece of piping that feeds the headlight washers on either side and contains the T-piece connector to connect to the main feed - 4E0 955 974 AB. Will go at fitting it tomorrow.

Last edited by dangerdred; 20th June 2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 20th June 2021, 10:19 AM

I fitted the new section of corrugated piping for the headlight washers but I still have the same leak. It's behind the OS front wheel, and in anything I've read I'm lead to believe that this can be due to a leak at the front travelling along the undertray and depositing behind the front wheel - the main problem I have with this is I don't have an engine undertray fitted. I've noticed that it's leaking regardless of me using any of the washers. Can anyone point me to where I should be looking next, and does the fact that it's leaking constantly mean that it's the water bottle itself or else the feed from the bottle to the pump?
Old 20th June 2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdred View Post
It's behind the OS front wheel
The water reservoir itself is hidden behind the OS front wheel arch liner, so that might be the culprit.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 20th June 2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
The water reservoir itself is hidden behind the OS front wheel arch liner, so that might be the culprit.
Ah yes, thanks. I've done a bit more reading and see the pumps themselves leak which I'm suspecting is my issue.
I've only just had it all back together after replacing the front upper suspension arms so now have to back in there again!
Old 21st June 2021, 09:15 AM

The attached image shows the reservoir and all its attachments. It may simply be one of the seals (6,8 or 11) leaking. If you need any part numbers, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 D3 WindscreenWasherReservoir.png
Views:	272
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	26630  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 30th June 2021, 10:19 PM

I found the source of my leak - water coming up through my windscreen washer pump and leaking straight out of the body - failed shaft seal

I will go at taking it apart and see if I can fix it. It's branded VDO and it looks to be at least €30 for a VDO replacement.

EDIT: I'm wondering if there's anything in that Lidl washer fluid I use that might be damaging for the seal.

Here's what's inside the pump housing including the seal on that motor shaft -

Last edited by dangerdred; 30th June 2021 at 10:53 PM.
Old 1st July 2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdred View Post
- failed shaft seal
Now you've identified the problem, the part number is 4E0955687 for the shaft seals. Costs around £13 from the dealer and it includes a filter in it.

Old 1st July 2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Now you've identified the problem, the part number is 4E0955687 for the shaft seals. Costs around £13 from the dealer and it includes a filter in it.

I think that's the seal between pump and reservoir, I don't think you can buy the shaft seal on it's own. I had similar problem on A6, just bought the whole pump from local motor parts direct shop for about £6, it's been couple of years and it's still working fine. It was a dual output pump for estate, single output for saloon was even cheaper.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 1st July 2021, 11:41 AM

A similar part failed on my RS4, I got a febi one supplied by Amazon for <£6 delivered the next day!

This was the part I bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, I opted for a "warehouse deal" one which was clearly brand new when it arrived, fitted and worked like a charm!

Worth putting the correct part code in and see what they have
Old 1st July 2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I think that's the seal between pump and reservoir, I don't think you can buy the shaft seal on it's own.
Thanks for clarifying that. Too busy looking at the corrosion on the motor and not reading the text. Duh!