A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 4th July 2020, 01:35 PM

Default Water drips from boot light cluster

I'm trying to work out exactly what's going on, but whenever I open the boot some time after rain water drips from the outer edge of the light cluster into the boot.
It's more annoying than anything, there's not a huge amount and it's not coming from inside the lights as far as I can see.

I "think" the seal around the light cluster is somewhat porous and water I soaking in there, probably assisted by a build-up of absorbent debris. Then when I open the boot it just runs out at the edge.
But I'm reluctant to go "excavating" until I understand what's supposed to be there.

It may be that just carefully cleaning out muck and applying some water repellent will be adequate, or maybe a little bit of black silicone filler.

Does anyone have a close-up picture of what those seals are like, or at least describe them? Thanks in advance.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th July 2020, 02:31 PM

Andrew, I have a pair of boot light clusters in my spares box. (ex-Mr Blobby). If you tell me exactly what it is you want to see I can take some photos.
Old 4th July 2020, 02:36 PM

Thanks David, but it's how they seal to the boot lid I'm after, so off the car in a box is unlikely to help.

Unless they have the seals around them, in which case a close up of the bottom edge and bottom outer corner showing where the seals are?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th July 2020, 02:51 PM

The rubber seals are attached to the light cluster. Ill upload some photos .
Old 4th July 2020, 03:07 PM

I think that these show what you want? The seal, as you can see, is a fairly substantial rubber seal. The lower strip is, however, prone to dirt build up and is rough and possibly the point of water entry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200704_144440348.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	23569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200704_144551405.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	23570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200704_144616118.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	23571  
Old 4th July 2020, 04:01 PM

Excellent David, exactly what I needed to know.
Didn't realise the seals were so deep. I'll carefully clean out as much crud as I can and see what happens.

After that I'll try a bit of silicone lubricant/water repellent then if all else fails a black silicone "top-up" or mastic.

I'm reluctant to take them out and risk damaging a seal that's currently reasonably intact.
Old 4th July 2020, 04:11 PM

The seals seem pretty robust and solid rubber as opposed to sponge material so I would think that they would be ok to remove even at 18yrs old! They are easy to remove - just the 4 x 8mm (?) nuts you can see in the picture. I should think that a clean and some vaseline would sort it without resorting to mastic applied from the outside.
Old 4th July 2020, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the advice. First I'll clean out the external crud though.

I was reluctant to do that in case the seals were thin/fragile which you've proved they definitely are not!
Old 4th July 2020, 09:55 PM

Upon opening the boot, I have had running water as well, after heavy rain. In my case it's the left side. Seems like a weird area for water to gather Had forgotten about it as I was abroad for work.
Haven't noticed any water there the past few months, though

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 4th July 2020, 10:08 PM

Mine is the right, but I think that's down to a slight slope across my drive, down to the left (UK passenger side) as I park. As a result the left side drains away, the right holds water.