A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 12th July 2021, 03:20 PM

Default Can Gateway 0019 mistake - coding

Hi There,

On Friday there were BIBLICAL rains in Peterborough. I drove home, parked up, dashed for the house door and that was in.

Saturday we went for a drive on going round one of the estate roundabouts we got dripped on. I found water in the cupholders and went back and dried things off. The stereo was somewhat erratic and the roof lights kept turning on!

Later i ran the heaters for a while and hooked up my ODB11 to clear faults and see what was happening. I thing i mistakenly agreed to auto coding!

Sunday we did another short drive out. No satnav, stereo etc. The screen flips up at start says no traffic info then closes.

I think the auto code thing has basically deleted my sat nav, tv tuner, radio and media player1 (now a GROM-MST4, which may be part of the issue) - I've a scan from early on in the car, with the long code.....also the various other data, but it doesn't seem to want to accept the coding, yet is saying there is a fault with the coding - This is via VCDS is this a Security code thing and if so ANY tips oh how

The autocode was FDFE7FDC1B3500

---
Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 4E0-910-468.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 468 HW: 4E0 907 468 A
Component: Gateway H07 0070
Revision: 07 Serial number: 16003049161CE4
Coding: FDFE7FDC2B3504
Shop #: WSC 00640 210 83262
VCID: 65C629BBAC726116CE-8030
---

Well.....with a little effort i've now got the coding reading the same. - Using the 210 & 83262 though the wsc of 00640 was greyed out!

However it's made NO difference. I can now see the modules in VCDS list but none of them connect. Nor are they working!

I've checked a load of fuses, checked the optical MOST bus and there's the red laser light on the connector to the GROM. The nav CD player flashes red when i hit the button in the boot and VCDS optical bus check see's everything, but the media player because it's the GROM!

The centre console round the gearstick does NOTHING, but the car starts/stops on the button.....It's all a bit strange!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)

Last edited by ulfilias; 12th July 2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old 13th July 2021, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Hi There,

On Friday there were BIBLICAL rains in Peterborough. I drove home, parked up, dashed for the house door and that was in.

Saturday we went for a drive on going round one of the estate roundabouts we got dripped on. I found water in the cupholders and went back and dried things off. The stereo was somewhat erratic and the roof lights kept turning on!

Later i ran the heaters for a while and hooked up my ODB11 to clear faults and see what was happening. I thing i mistakenly agreed to auto coding!

Sunday we did another short drive out. No satnav, stereo etc. The screen flips up at start says no traffic info then closes.

I think the auto code thing has basically deleted my sat nav, tv tuner, radio and media player1 (now a GROM-MST4, which may be part of the issue) - I've a scan from early on in the car, with the long code.....also the various other data, but it doesn't seem to want to accept the coding, yet is saying there is a fault with the coding - This is via VCDS is this a Security code thing and if so ANY tips oh how

The autocode was FDFE7FDC1B3500

---
Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 4E0-910-468.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 468 HW: 4E0 907 468 A
Component: Gateway H07 0070
Revision: 07 Serial number: 16003049161CE4
Coding: FDFE7FDC2B3504
Shop #: WSC 00640 210 83262
VCID: 65C629BBAC726116CE-8030
---

Well.....with a little effort i've now got the coding reading the same. - Using the 210 & 83262 though the wsc of 00640 was greyed out!

However it's made NO difference. I can now see the modules in VCDS list but none of them connect. Nor are they working!

I've checked a load of fuses, checked the optical MOST bus and there's the red laser light on the connector to the GROM. The nav CD player flashes red when i hit the button in the boot and VCDS optical bus check see's everything, but the media player because it's the GROM!

The centre console round the gearstick does NOTHING, but the car starts/stops on the button.....It's all a bit strange!
It sounds like you have affected the control head ECU.

I would simply try and redo the control head coding to suit your car, and see if this brings it all back to life. Then code the remaining MOST items one by one.

The start stop button is not part of the MOST system which is why it works.

04 A8 - 4.2 Sport

Indigo Leather Sports Seats - Sports wheel - Sports Air Suspension
Auto Boot - Double Glazing - AMI - Solar roof
TV - Bose - Voice Control - TPMS - AFS- TINT
Power Blind, Fingerprint - Light package (in and out)

Retrofits:
OEM Auto headlights & rain sensing wipers
OEM Bluetooth phone
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Reverse Camera
OEM Aluminium Package
Auto boot close using remote/door button
Old 13th July 2021, 10:13 AM

MCS - Yeah....There's obviously something coding that's still wrong.

I popped the MMI buttons out yesterday. Surprisingly easy actually. One screw under under the ashtray, takes that part out and then the whole thing with the trim pops out. Little gearstick movement and a lot of cables to pop out but actually a 5 min job.

I managed to take it all apart and clean the board and the Start/Stop and Parking Brake are separate units!
There's an odd big heavy plug in 2" bar under there too. Key stuff i'm thinking?

Looked at the board, cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol and it actually looked fine

Quite how i code the head is the question now....I'm guessing clear off the can gateway anything it doesn't want and then see if just that module is accessible ?

My other idea was to try and pop the old CD player in and see what that does. I just have to find it

Previous :

Also :
Old 13th July 2021, 04:02 PM

Tried the old CD player. Needed to swap a connector to get it back in, but no REAL joy.

I can now do the optical scan thing and get all OK on Electrical and Optical.....but the can gateway is still NOT playing despite coding and seeming fine.

NONE of the system seems to be doing much. There's power to the CD player and Nav, though they don't show up, nor the control head, sound system, radio and TV.

Control electronics 2 has a test function, doing this rolled the display up and i quit. On starting the car again i saw the audi MMI splash screen, then traffic info for a few seconds and it dropped back down again!

On starting the car this morning i also noticed a CD Empty flash in the cluster screen but that was about it!

Tried running the car with the MMI buttons disconnected, just in case there was a stuck button type error. Nope!

Previous :

Also :
Old 14th July 2021, 12:02 PM

So far NOTHING i've done has made any difference, doing a search on the MMI and issues brought a few interesting bits.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2835919/page6/

Similar issue, long thread, down at the bottom it mentions the Phone was the problem, also says corrosion and water and right location!

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24817841

Has some interesting stuff. A bit of test pressing buttons with the CD player out, which should be easy

I'm now wondering about the phone???

" the initial logo should be there because the MMI HEAD has two paths of communication it communicate via MOST and CAN. see photo below, so with the MOST down the screen should trigger for a few seconds then blank because it switches over to MOST after the init wakeup via can or MMI PAD which in your case is dead.... its not doing that the head or can lines is dead, I seriously doubt its the can lines...

7 of the 13 wires in the head is a direct connection to the MMI PAD E380

the rest is power mute for Telematics and can."

I'm getting that MMI turn on....strange that the MOST test in VCDS seems to say all good though

Previous :

Also :
Old 15th July 2021, 12:18 PM

I tried pulling the battery for a while. I now have an incorrect clock and date. Surprising how you miss the settings options!

Despite the VCDS MOST test returning everything fine on both optical and electrical, on normal and -3db, I've bought a paid of terminators to the optical bus. ~£7 on ebay.
It seems a cheap and useful thing to knock things off the ring loop and IF it's the phone, I can just delete it. I've not used the phone in however many years of having the car and the old tesco sim that came with the car seems to have died anyway. I used it once to call my mobile to find it

I'm thinking, find the head unit in the glove box area and terminate there and see if i get the screen back!

For this weekend away I ordered a nice Soundcore motion+ and will borrow the GFs sat-nav. I'd take the PA painted jeep but it's a warm one and i'd like the nice aircon. Besides having a decent travel speaker for the cottage will be a bonus

Previous :

Also :
Old 15th July 2021, 01:26 PM

OK......In reading about BT phone retrofit - http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=908&page=6

There was mention of removing the door trim/kickplate on the passengers side, pull the carpet from the footwell, and BINGO telephone unit is reasonably easy and quick to get to, so i removed it!

Obviously now a break in the MOST loop, so i grabbed the CD player and installed in the glove compartment MOST and then used my GROM at the Telephone MOST.

I tried a quick code and well, still not working, but I'm leaving the car for a bit and see what it finds and so forth!
I may actually grab a BT module as that would be quite useful!

Seems 4E0910336C is £47 delivered on ebay, with antenna and then just needs a new connector, which is irkingly about a tenner!

4F1862335 is £90 but does have the connector, antenna and a bit of MOST, what a crap way to salvage!

Previous :

Also :
Old 16th July 2021, 03:56 AM

Didnt you say the MOST is working but this is a coding issue?

It is unclear to me why you haven't tried swapping the gateway or the control head. Logically a phone module isn't going to have anything to do with the system not working after a coding stuff up. MOST parts darts doesn't sound to me like the way forward.

The gateway ECU controls everything with CAN. These are very cheap. I would replace it and begin again. You do you though

Mike

04 A8 - 4.2 Sport

Indigo Leather Sports Seats - Sports wheel - Sports Air Suspension
Auto Boot - Double Glazing - AMI - Solar roof
TV - Bose - Voice Control - TPMS - AFS- TINT
Power Blind, Fingerprint - Light package (in and out)

Retrofits:
OEM Auto headlights & rain sensing wipers
OEM Bluetooth phone
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Reverse Camera
OEM Aluminium Package
Auto boot close using remote/door button
Old 20th July 2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcs View Post
Didnt you say the MOST is working but this is a coding issue?

It is unclear to me why you haven't tried swapping the gateway or the control head. Logically a phone module isn't going to have anything to do with the system not working after a coding stuff up. MOST parts darts doesn't sound to me like the way forward.

The gateway ECU controls everything with CAN. These are very cheap. I would replace it and begin again. You do you though
I mostly get to do 10-15 mins here and there at work whilst running a manufacturing business. I needed the car in a drivable state for the weekend as doing 250miles and wanting the aircon!

I also wasn't sure about where the gateway was, how to get there and so forth. Also a LOT of the threads i'd seen had mentioned the phone because water ingress and the whole thing started with water coming in from above because biblical water from above, water in the ceiling light, cupholder and things going odd. Checking the buttons made sense too

Hopefully this week i'll get to pop the glovebox!

I'll also add over the weekend i had an ODD minor breakdown. The car had a bit of a hissy fit in a road works around Warwick. The dashboard lit up with brake stuff and bleeping and a short time later completely cut out. Parked the gearstick, restarted.

Then 30 seconds later did the same, but No power, wouldn't start. Locked the key in the slot when i tried manually (remote battery?). Turning everything off, NO power.
Checked the battery but terminals good. tried again a minute later and it all fired up no problems but the clock reset. Pulled over at the junction to a garden centre car park and checked her over.
Had a battery/alt tester (cigarette lighter) as i was worried it was with the new battery and coding but 3 greens for both.
Looked at the faults and it seems like an authorisation issue. Cleared all the faults with my ODB11 and ran around the carpark. All good. Did ~50 miles after that and only near the destination did the brake lights thing happen again, but she kept going fine.

Drove home Monday (~125miles) and it was all OK, not an issue.

Previous :

Also :
Old 20th July 2021, 04:37 PM

4E0907468E - Ordered from A8 parts on ebay - £13 i "CAN" live with

Mine was a 468A can't seem to find much on the E vs A thing - Though a camera retrofit here did mention a H version and a 4L0 one!

Previous :

Also :