A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 23rd September 2019, 09:03 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Talking MJ's next project?

A little project for any spare V8 you might have lying around ...

I think it might need a bigger fuel tank. Though admittedly, if I was driving this, range anxiety would probably not be my greatest concern.

------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:42 AM

Tbh I had something more like this in mind, but I'll take your suggestion under advisement

or possibly this:

Either way, bodywork is just a waste of weight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bert.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	22154   Click image for larger version

Name:	194552_106910552724193_2354360_o.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	22155   Click image for larger version

Name:	192792_106910472724201_3666070_o.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	22156  
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Either way, bodywork is just a waste of ̶w̶e̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ mass
Just fixed that for you.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 23rd September 2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Tbh I had something more like this in mind, but I'll take your suggestion under advisement

I can't fault Bert's enthusiasm but, personally, I'd prefer something slightly more sophisticated, preferably with wheels and brakes.

Quote:
or possibly this:

Now THAT's more like it!

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I can't fault Bert's enthusiasm but, personally, I'd prefer something slightly more sophisticated, preferably with wheels and brakes.
This was the inspiration:

Old 23rd September 2019, 01:54 PM

Well it's a start I suppose but it looks like he may be a few parts short of a full bike (which isn't intended as a euphemism, honest )

And nice bike! Although I think I prefer the flying version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5YBVZZOEd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdF-XJpQkIc

The noise from that thing must be incredible!

Several years ago I helped a drag-racing guy I know, called Bill Sherratt, to help build a jet-powered bicycle (I really just designed the electronic control units and helped wire it up). The jet engine it used looked very similar to the ones used on that flying bike but it had just one of them. Even at idle, with just a single jet, it was stupidly loud. At full throttle the noise was beyond belief. I can only image how loud that flying bike must be with four of the things!

Cars Owned:

Old 23rd September 2019, 02:43 PM

That was handy as an initial design concept though I'm not actually sure if the Lazareth is legal in this country, and if so what it's classified as. A vehicle with four actual wheels can still qualify as a tricycle if the rear wheels are mounted on a common axle and have a centre-to-centre axis of something like 200mm. The Lazareth definitely doesn't meet that, and neither would anything I could build using D2 parts (yes, I did actually measure ) since the diff is wider than that. It might be possible using motorcycle tyres and a different rear diff, but since it doesn't tilt in the corners such tyres would be a bit pointless.

Technically (by UK rules) this wheel configuration makes it a quad bike, even though both rear wheels are on the same swing arm, but it doesn't actually meet the specs for a 'heavy quad' either.

I resolved instead to finish the Polo V8 at some point in the future when I have 'nothing else to do'
Old 28th September 2019, 02:01 PM

Engine on the go-kart at the top is an LS with carby manifold if anyone was unsure.

MJ, I reckon you'd love the new racing formula being started up down here - S5000 uses a Formula 3 chassis and fits it with a Ford Coyote V8.
Its going to be an exhibition formula during the minor races at the Australian Formula 1 GP weekend next year.
I saw the demonstrator at Phillip Island back in April at the Shannons Nationals. The sound is phenomenal and will show up the F1 cars noisewise!

Also, what happened to the red B5 V8 conversion?

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 28th September 2019, 02:04 PM

The red B5 is currently functioning as a shelf in the workshop I have all the parts to make it go, but no time to actually build it or use it.