A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 4th October 2017, 02:26 PM

Default Works.

Cheers guys

I've just done the closed loop blue and white wire airbag light off fix. Perfect.
Old 6th October 2017, 10:18 AM

Check in VCDS that the sensor reads 'seat occupied'. Otherwise if you have a passenger with you their airbag will be switched off. God forbid.
The resistance value has been checked by others before, you need a 470 Ohm resistor or there abouts.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Occupancy resistor.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	17173  

Last edited by Goran; 6th October 2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 15th September 2018, 09:40 AM

just another twist that could be noticed with global warning !

despite having used andrew's fix of isolating the front sensor have been having a problem of light staying on when car left in the sun ; then stays off when the car is cool

found someones comment about getting the problem when seat heater is on full and the penny dropped ....with the excessive temperatures we have been having this summer the sensor is changing value when blasted by the sun on the seat ... has never happened when the car is left in the shade !
Old 21st December 2018, 02:23 PM

thigh pad isolated all ok ,but light stayed on when overheated in the sun
latest twist .......winter arrived , seat heaters on full with both front seats occupied ...no problem
supermarket car park , someone parked too close to allow opening of passenger side doors ; swmbo therefore jumps in the back ; light now stays on ! after 10 miles turn off passenger seat heater ; another 10 miles light goes out , so maybe a posterior is needed to absorb some of the heat !
so where does the seat temperature come into this ?
Old 21st January 2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
OK, this is the EVEN CHEAPER FIX, cost effectively nil if it is just the thigh pad sensor at fault!

Move the seat back and tilt the front up to gain access. Move the thigh support forwards as far as it will go.
Look underneath and you'll see a thin black cable sleeve that runs from the thigh support back under the seat, remove the cable tie to ease access.

Carefully cut open the sleeve open to confirm it contains the blue and white pair of wires for the occupancy sensor; trim back the sleeve to bare a good length of wire and cut through it nearer where it enters the pad so there's a decent length to work on emerging from under the rear of the seat.

Tape up or cable tie the spare wires going into the thigh pad, this part of the sensor is now inactive. Move the pad back now to make access easier.
Join the blue and white wires together at the end of the cable coming from under the seat.
I actually used a "choc-block" connector and small loop of wire, but that was for convenience of testing resistances. You could just strip off some insulation and crimp them together.
(I'll probably do that some time if the fix continues to work OK)
Tape or cable-tie out of the way and return seat to normal position.

Finally plug in your laptop running VCDS (or equivalent) and clear the codes from the Airbag Module.

All seems to be working normally so far......

I did do some vague resistance testing, as follows:
The thigh pad was open circuit when unloaded, pressed as hard as I could manage (in some places) I could get it down to maybe 20K ohms.
The main seat pad was in the "several K ohms" range when unloaded and dropped to maybe 200 ohms (IIRC, not sure exactly what range my meter was on) with my big fat backside on it.

I'll report back if there are any untoward developments.....
I tried this hack but my light remains on.

The only difference is I did it further down the line nearer to the brown connector. Could that be why?

I’ve circled the connector I assume was the right one to follow from Ian’s initial post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0697.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	30119  

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 22nd January 2024, 06:03 PM

Evening all, is anyone able to confirm my previous post before I start rooting around again.

Old 22nd January 2024, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY D View Post
Evening all, is anyone able to confirm my previous post before I start rooting around again.
Read through IT's post and also the one you quoted from HPsauce, as well as the post by Goran above (#102) with the photo. Since they're all referencing the blue and white wires, and you 'tried this hack', is it possible that the resistor you used is faulty, or not attached properly, depending on how you achieved it? Terrible thought, and I'm sorry to ask, but did you try clearing the code, as you don't mention it specifically? i.e. "I tried clearing the code, but it wouldn't".

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 23rd January 2024, 07:34 AM

No offence taken….its a valid question seeing as I didn’t mention it

To confirm, yes the garage “cleared” the code but it came straight back. The error was with the occupancy sensor so we’re comfortable it’s not another airbag issue.

Also, just to clarify I actually did Andrew’s “even cheaper fix” as I ordered a 470 kohm resistor instead of 470 ohm

I’m going to try again and take it back to the garage next week when he has time to investigate.

Old 23rd January 2024, 09:21 AM

I think if you read through my earlier comments I also did a resistance check on both seat pads, occupied and unoccupied.
Definitely worth doing.
(IIRC they are normally wired in series.)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 23rd January 2024, 08:14 PM

Ah yes, I’ve just re-read Andrew

Thanks