A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 27th November 2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Oo er missus!
I was trying to be as descriptive as possible to help HPsauce/Andrew but having read it again, I can see what you mean... I'm just immensely pleased that my mobile bathtub of water is no longer present. I did follow it up with the usual trick of dissolving a dishwasher tablet in a container of hot water to slosh it all through. The endoscope camera was essential, as it was very hard for me to visualise the location of the blocked drain/hole. I'd seen the Paul Waterloo write-up on audipages which gave me a clue but it worked out more difficult in practice.

I've attached a photo taken from the passenger side (NSF) - you can make out the plastic housing at the top (blower/fan/motor sits in here) and the small gap underneath where the water fills up. The drain hole is on the left (to the front of the car) and it glistens due to residual water. Not entirely sure what that sticky-out bolt is for? Let's hope it's watertight as it was submerged as you can see from the original video clip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191127-141148.png
Views:	268
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	22482  

Last edited by johnny_quattro; 8th November 2020 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Heinous error - singular, not plural, also OSF incorrect as per The Laird
Old 7th November 2020, 06:00 PM

Default Definition of sadness

Windows covered in condensation?

The definition of sadness must be searching for water ingress on the forums, finding one of your own posts (from almost exactly one year ago, funny that) and then updating your own post after watching your very own inspirational video!

Cheers to Mr Sauce as well for his scuttle drain investigation here: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12219

It's definitely that time of year.
Old 7th November 2020, 08:23 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
I've attached a photo taken from the passenger side (OSF) .
Isn’t the passenger side NSF? I’m often wrong, so no hassle if I am again, but I’d appreciate clarification from you guys. Thanks
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 8th November 2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Isn’t the passenger side NSF? I’m often wrong, so no hassle if I am again, but I’d appreciate clarification from you guys. Thanks
Yes, you are correct and I'm an idiot! Definitely NSF, I'll see if I can go back and edit the post to clean up. I'm going to take a look at my current issue later today so hopefully I can add some photos.
Old 8th November 2020, 03:54 PM

Usual solution was employed - fill up 2 litre container with hot water, add dishwasher tablet and wait for it to dissolve fully. Fill up a second container with hot water whilst waiting. Added from the NSF (see what I did there, The_Laird) in the gap, and moments later, a pleasing gush of water came out from under the car. It's now clean as a whistle under the bonnet, but after reversing the car (was testing the MJ brake block upgrade), I noticed that water was only vented out of the passenger side. I suspect that I may have to revisit this again.

With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I'd taken the opportunity of snipping off the ends on the fat drainage tubes either side of the flywheel housing when my gearbox was replaced in 2014, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by johnny_quattro; 8th November 2020 at 03:55 PM. Reason: underscore, not a hyphen
Old 9th November 2020, 06:23 PM

Do you add the water through a funnel and tube inserted into the drain, or just pour it into the space below the blower motor?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 10th November 2020, 05:25 PM

I took the very simple approach this time of just sloshing it into the general area to the right of the blower motor enclosure. When it's been properly blocked in the past, I've taken more care and used my USB camera with a pokey stick implement.
Old 10th November 2020, 07:07 PM

I think I might buy a wee camera - does this look suitable?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-USB-...cAAOSwxElfPjND

I last checked these drains years ago (well, Brian did it for me) and they were clear. I suspect Michaela may have had a look when she had my engine and box out a year or so ago, but there’s no harm keeping a watchful eye, particularly as my windows do tend to mist up when parked (but that may be the solar sunroof pulling in damp air on days when it’s sunny but damp (perhaps?).
Old 10th November 2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I think I might buy a wee camera - does this look suitable?
Just be aware that the first image is misleading, as it shows various scenarios with the output being shown on a mobile phone, yet it has a USB connector. The description says suitable for notebook. There's no mention of a USB to OTG adaptor for it.

I bought mine off eBay about six years ago and use it on my car laptop and prefer it for the obvious reason of a much larger screen.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 10th November 2020, 07:44 PM

Thanks Sean. I did notice it had a USB port and I plan to use it with the mini laptop that I use with my VCDS. Suitable do you think?