A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 14th December 2019, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
I did all of these jobs last year with the engine still in the car. New full Camshaft chain adjuster units. Very expensive for the two, approx £1500 for the two plus £100 for 2 new chains, and that's just for parts. I know that we can just replace the pads but my pads were fine. The adjuster itself on the drivers side was not functioning correctly. It was extremely rettly until the engine warmed up. There is a theory that the detent pin that holds the tensioner in the start position fails and so the tensioner is free to rattle on first startup until engine oil pressure builds up. For me, the rattle was just unacceptable.

The most difficult and frustrating job I did at the same time (with the engine in place) was the plastic oil cooler pipe. Access is really tight. I generally enjoy working on my car but I hope I never have to do that job again.

I have no idea of how long the job took though I'm afraid. I never rush my repairs as its a bit of a hobby so I spread it over a few weekends.
1500 for 2? were they oem?

I found one for 164 here https://www.autodoc.co.uk/et-engineteam/14089975
Old 14th December 2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
1500 for 2? were they oem?

I found one for 164 here https://www.autodoc.co.uk/et-engineteam/14089975
The OEM ones are just shy of £600 each.

You're at least lucky that you can find alternatives for yours, as there doesn't appear to be one for the 3.7 engine, with the D suffix on the part number.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 14th December 2019, 03:28 PM

Yeah, the ones I bought were OEM from main dealer, £750 each, or were they £600 each? To be honest I can't remember 100% but £1500 seems to be stuck in my mind. Maybe I bought other stuff at the same time. Either way, they're still expensive.

I couldn't find any good quality after market ones. I seem to recall "Dormer (but could be wrong) " may have done some but reviews were mixed.
Old 14th December 2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
There is a theory that the detent pin that holds the tensioner in the start position fails and so the tensioner is free to rattle on first startup until engine oil pressure builds up.
The pin gets jammed when the stupid filter-gauze that lives in the bottom of the tensioner breaks up and is forced through the tensioner by oil pressure. It ruins the o-rings and the bits get jammed in the pin mechanism. Its only the driver's side too - the passenger side one is the other way up so the bits of gauze sink to the bottom of the piston housing and do no damage.

Having discovered this, I am going to take the gauze out of any more on which I change the plastic pads. The W8 and W12 suffered the same problem but that generally writes the car off because the tensioners for those are four figures each.

There are some guys in Eastern Europe who can rebuild them but I haven't sent a set off yet.

I would rather whittle one from a block of cheese than fit a chinesium copy. The chinese ones are known to leak oil externally, and I would not trust anything made in china for such a critical engine function. V6 tensioners are cheaper though as there were many more of those engines.

Luckily for V8 owners, the D2 and D3 share the same tensioner so we've got another 3-4 years before they become obsolete.
Old 14th December 2019, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the info MJ, it's good to know they are still available, for now anyhow.

I still have my old units so if you can recall the company that refurbishes them I would be willing to act as a Guinea pig and send them off, see what happens.
Old 14th December 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Luckily for V8 owners, the D2 and D3 share the same tensioner so we've got another 3-4 years before they become obsolete.
For some reason, the ones used on the 3.7 engines (AQG and AKC) only have 077109087D and 088D as options. The 4.2 engines have 087E and 088E with 087P and 088P superseding them.

I'd be tempted to send mine off for a refurb, but then I wouldn't have the car for a couple of weeks.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds