A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th February 2020, 06:08 PM

Lightbulb Parking Sensors Playing Up? Possible Fix and/or Maintenance

Hi all,

My car doesn't get used much at all. Logic says I should put her up for sale but I just can't even contemplate that.

Anyway, around Christmas, I started the car and noticed the dreaded long beep and flashing park assist LED when engaging reverse. I scanned the car with VCDS and it reported two front parking sensors misbehaving. One had a total loss of communication and the other had an open circuit.

I went about researching possible fixes and found a video on YouTube by a BMW guy that suggested spraying the sensors with WD40 to get rid of any water ingress.

The video wasn't the best-produced thing I've ever watched but I figured I had nothing to lose, so gave it a shot. Alas, no luck. The fault was still there. I pulled the car into the garage with the intent of removing the front bumper and taking a closer look. Life got in the way and I got horribly delayed starting the job and it was already coming up to bedtime. I went out to the car and started my usual thing of cleaning bits of it while I think about my next course of action. I hit the parking sensors with WD40 again but this time with a non-aerosol sprayer with the nozzle in jet mode. I did the locking buttons on the door handles at the same time.

To my utter astonishment, the next day, the sensors started working properly again. No more flashing LED, no more long beep and the distances at which they warn are accurate.

It may not be a permanent fix but I was surprised that it had any effect at all so I thought I'd share it. Even if it doesn't bring back dead sensors for you, it's probably worth adding to your maintenance routine to prevent water ingress.

Hopefully, this helps someone out.

2008 Audi S8