A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 8th September 2015, 03:01 PM

It is perfectly possible for the battery to just die - I had this happen once on a 7 series BMW and it cold started normally, I drove about 40 miles to a meeting then it died whilst I was in the meeting. I'd be tempted to check all your earths first to make sure they are sound battery to car and starter earth and live connections. failing that I'd be tempted to take the battery off and take it to a Halfrauds or battery shop and get it properly tested and then replace if its rubbish and recode the new one on to the car.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 8th September 2015, 03:20 PM

That makes sense, I'm off to Halfauds! Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 03:21 PM

anything I should note when removing the battery or is it just unbolt and remove?
Old 8th September 2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8L View Post
anything I should note when removing the battery or is it just unbolt and remove?
If your car is in the garage I would leave the windows down and doors/boot unlocked before taking the battery off just to make sure
Just remove the battery in normal way but new one needs coding to the car on fitting

20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
Old 8th September 2015, 04:21 PM

OK battery out - boot left open, halfrauds here I come
Old 8th September 2015, 05:35 PM

£160 and a new battery fitted but the same issue is happening. I managed to run a scan after swapping the battery (attached) but I am in the same position where it wont let me do another scan, getting the same error.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bat 002.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	11826  
Attached Files
File Type: txt new batteryLog-OV04YDJ-WAUZZZ4E64N015552-133300km-82828mi.txt (22.9 KB, 300 views)
Old 8th September 2015, 05:49 PM

It's not the battery.

Do you get lights on the dash when ignition is turned on?

I'd be looking at all the fuses including the BIG ones.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 8th September 2015, 08:47 PM

Hi Dezzy

Yep, I think that's fair to say! I suppose on the upside, my old battery was tested and the advisory was to replace it - the voltage was lower that low!

I don't get any dash lights when the ignition is turned on which is how it was pre new battery. As soon as the new battery was in, I noticed straight away that the dash lights were still not coming on - I get the mileage lit up but no ignition lights.

I'm not sure where to start with the fuses and where do I get new ones Big ones

Any pointers on the fuses, which ones to replace, test etc - can they be tested or is the test to replace it??

Last edited by A8L; 8th September 2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 8th September 2015, 09:55 PM

sounds like it could be a bad earth

As for a jump starter pack, you should get one of those lil pocket sized ones - I have one and its fantastic
(google search 'angry jester' - theres a lot of variations on the market)

If youre near to me (Glasgow) I can borrow the battery tester from work and test your old battery - alternatively I can take your old one on for a charge
Old 8th September 2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McB View Post
sounds like it could be a bad earth

As for a jump starter pack, you should get one of those lil pocket sized ones - I have one and its fantastic
(google search 'angry jester' - theres a lot of variations on the market)

If youre near to me (Glasgow) I can borrow the battery tester from work and test your old battery - alternatively I can take your old one on for a charge
Sorry to hear the battery didn't solve it, but it sounds like it did still have issues. I did say check the earths on the car and on the starter etc it would certainly be wise to see if you can scan the car and pick up on any issues before doing too much more.