A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Generic car items

For Sale and Wanted - Generic car items For the personal sale of non Vw/Audi parts, tools, vouchers, accessories, anything that isn't an actual car. Absolutely no commercial listings or breaking / bulk / repeated sale of parts or services.

Old 24th December 2015, 09:02 AM

Default Cheap oil at Halfords 4l £10.80

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/eng...nthetic-oil-4l

Meets VW specifications 502.00/505.00 . Discounted from £33.99 to £12 +10% extra off till midnight. Reserved 2 cans for myself, picking up later in the day.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 10th January 2016, 07:54 AM
Banned

Wouldn't entertain anything other than genuine quantum ... there is a reason halfords oil is cheap... you get what you pay for . A quality car deserves quality oil. I do mine every 8k miles without fail and it gets Quantum every time
Old 10th January 2016, 09:23 AM

Out of
Old 10th January 2016, 09:24 AM

Out of interest who makes quantum oil?
Old 10th January 2016, 11:03 AM
Banned

I belive it's Castrol .. usually you see on the D2 a Castrol long life 3 service sticker ..
Old 10th January 2016, 11:41 AM

The product data sheets say: "Quantum is a registered trade mark of Volkswagen Group United Kingdom Limited.
Yeomans Drive, Blakeland, Milton Keynes MK14 5AN"
and most suppliers list them together with Castrol products.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 10th January 2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
Wouldn't entertain anything other than genuine quantum ... there is a reason halfords oil is cheap... you get what you pay for . A quality car deserves quality oil. I do mine every 8k miles without fail and it gets Quantum every time
If it meets the specs, then it meets the specs and the Halfords oil does meet the specs Or are you suggesting that there is some other magic ingredient (unlisted and not included in marketing hype - "NEW, IMPROVED SLIPPERYNESS - ) - that makes Quantum the only stuff to use? Halfords use oil as a loss leader in the same way that supermarkets use cheap milk and bread i.e. to get people into their shop to buy other stuff.
Old 10th January 2016, 01:07 PM

A little looking around seems to show that Halfords oil is made by Comma. One guy on another forum stated that he was delivering a tanker of additive to Comma's plant and asked them and they stated that they did.

The common opinion seems to be that Quantum is made by Castrol.
Old 10th January 2016, 01:31 PM

Thanks chaps and yes, I too had read Comma make/made oil for Halfords.

Hmm, so do I remain a badge snob and stick to Mobil 1 whilst its £60 for 10 litres from Costco, or stock up on Halfords at £24 for 8 litres.

Or go with Quantum Platinum 5w/40, when Mobil 1 0w/40 is a only few quid more ?
Old 10th January 2016, 01:57 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-Ed...kAAOSwxN5WWI0p