A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 29th October 2017, 01:50 PM

Default "No key identified"

"No key identified" keeps coming up on the DIS whenever i try to start the car now.I have changed the battery in the key and it has had no effect. I tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours.

There were a few reasons for this. The auto darkening mirrors were dark all the time when the ignition was on, the key wasnt getting recognised and the AMI doesn't work. It seems to have remembered what was on the USB drive nearly a year ago and only plays those tracks, no matter what is on the USB drive, you can completely remove the USB from the AMI and it still thinks those tracks are stored on it. I'm totally sick of the music that I have been listening to for the last year and given that I spend several hours a day in the car it is distressing! I thought disconnecting the battery for a while with the AMI set on bypass and the USB removed might wipe whatever weird memory thing it has.

Anyway. disconnecting the battery sorted the mirrors as it always does, but AMI is still being a dick and the car still isn't recognising the key (with new battery). I tried a VCDS scan but the non official copy I bought is utter sh**e. It doesn't communicate with 90% of the control modules. Total waste of money. On a previous scan which seemed to work better, i seem to remember it saying there were a couple of the key recognition antennae not working. Are they replaceable items and where are they?

I hate having the key in the ignition. Having it swinging against my leg for hours gets really annoying. For info, the keyless entry has never worked since I've had the car, the finger print scanner has never worked but the button has always started the car until yesterday when it started with its key not recognised nonsense. Do any of these cars work for more than five minutes?!
Old 29th October 2017, 05:51 PM

Where do you live mate..I can run a diagnosis for you.. I have vcds and Odis as well.

Currently:
2015 Audi A8 4H Sport Executive Quattro in Monsoon Grey
Old 31st October 2017, 07:32 PM

That's very kind of you to offer, unfortunately I would struggle to live much further away from you, I'm up in the wilds of Scotland.

I'm happy to report that the key issue seems to have resolved itself. It's all working as it should (except for the keyless entry, but thats due to faulty door handles). The car has a mind of its own sometimes.

The AMI thing hasn changed and is way more annoying. Imagine listening to the same few albums over and over for 6 months with no end in sight haha. I ownder if the MMI software just needs updating. I have ordered an update DVD for the navigation, does this do the whole thing?

I have VCDS but it was a.. erm... non official copy. Itr desnt communicate with 70% of the control modules on the car which is obviously next to useless. It works better on the laptop rather than the tablet but the battery is knackered on that... new one n the post!

gill
Old 1st November 2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erubus View Post
That's very kind of you to offer, unfortunately I would struggle to live much further away from you, I'm up in the wilds of Scotland.

I'm happy to report that the key issue seems to have resolved itself. It's all working as it should (except for the keyless entry, but thats due to faulty door handles). The car has a mind of its own sometimes.

The AMI thing hasn changed and is way more annoying. Imagine listening to the same few albums over and over for 6 months with no end in sight haha. I ownder if the MMI software just needs updating. I have ordered an update DVD for the navigation, does this do the whole thing?

I have VCDS but it was a.. erm... non official copy. Itr desnt communicate with 70% of the control modules on the car which is obviously next to useless. It works better on the laptop rather than the tablet but the battery is knackered on that... new one n the post!

gill
Hello, mate:
In my opinion, your problems were caused by the battery, that was with a low level of charge. The energy management system of the car disconnects sequentially the less vital systems to ensure the start of the car.
Concerning to the AMI, the DVD navigation doesn't update the AMI.
Please download the file in the link below

AMI driver update

which contains the update procedure (in german) and the latest firmware of the AMI (.bin file).

Anyway, I have the update procedure in english, but I can't upload the file, so I paste here the content of the document:

Update for Audi music interface
This update is used to replace the driver for the Audi music interface. This may be necessary due to new generations of media players or due to new firmwareversions.
To perform the update, you will need a standard USB stick with sufficient free
memory space (at least 2 MB) and the USB adapter (available from your Audi
dealer).
Please work through steps 1-7:
  • [1] Load the driver update on your PC. Decompress the ZIP file and copy the decompressed BIN file onto the USB stick. Note:
  • The BIN file must be in the root directory (highest order directory) of
    the USB stick. A file stored in a subfolder will not be recognised by the Audi music interface.
  • The update file must be the only BIN file in the root directory.
  • [2] Select the Audi music interface as active audio source.
  • [3] Connect the USB adapter to the Audi music interface.
  • [4] Plug the USB stick prepared as described in point 1 in the USB adapter.
    The following message appears: "Initialising device. Please wait…"
  • [5] The update will take about 2 minutes. Please do not remove the USB stick during this time. The following message appears: "Updating Audi music interface software. Please wait…"
  • [6] When the update has been successfully completed, the following message appears on the screen: "Audi music interface software successfully updated."
  • [7] The update is complete.

Now remove the USB stick and the USB adapter. Your Audi music interface is
ready for use again.

Hope that it helps. Cheers from Spain
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:08 PM

Muchas gracias desde Escocia!

I have actually been calling it an AMI but its a Dension. However, thanks to your post I looked for firmware updates, which I successfully installed. It didnt make any difference unfortunately but I used the USB stick which I had used originally in the car to install the update. I had deleted the music from it but oddly the menu still showed the music folder and all the tracks. When I looked inside the USB stick on the computer it had two BIN files on it.

It appears that the Dension thing writes the track listing onto the USB stick and it will only see the music that is in this menu. When I had previously changed the music on the other stick, I hadnt deleted the BIN files so it only saw the music that was on that list.

I now have access to all of the music that I had put on the stick. Now that I know its working, I think I will get a USB hard drive and just put all my music on it.

Thanks again, I would never haver gone down that route without your advice.