A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 20th January 2016, 07:57 PM

Default OEM interior LEDs?

Anyone tried these in their D2?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Au.../331758623988?

Looks like a direct swap for regular light unit above the sun visor.

By the way, don't buy from that seller as the RRP on new ones is only £14.78 before you knock anything off at TPS!

Might order a couple for mine, as one of mine is broken so a bulb swap isn't an option.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 20th January 2016, 08:00 PM

Look interesting. I have aftermarket LED bulbs in mine but they are always working loose so are quite unreliable.

Why not buy from that seller, price seems OK? TPS is not really convenient for me.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 20th January 2016, 08:12 PM

I can usually manage 10-27.5% discount from TPS and they're on my doorstep, plus they'll be new and these are used for an unknown period.

Might order one to test fit in my broken one (driver's side is half hanging out) and see what I think

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 25th January 2016, 12:46 PM

OK, don't buy from that seller, the ones I received had RED led's. Useless behind the sun visor.
I'll get a refund via eBay, it's just a bit of a pain.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 26th January 2016, 09:17 AM

You couldn't make this up, the seller doesn't believe me, despite me sending him the attached photo.
He thinks his red security sticker on the back is the cause!
(Business seller so I'll get my money anyway, but very silly)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RED-LEDs.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	12375  
Old 27th January 2016, 07:14 PM

I think the seller has finally twigged after doing some testing, that it is a polarity issue.
Now I've never seen LED's behave that way, but it seems that if the polarity is wrong these glow red - normally they just don't work at all.

It's probably fairly easy to pop the terminals out of the plug on the wiring loom and swap them over, but I've already sent these back.

Though quite why Audi would use the same directional 2-pin plug for the essentially same interior light and reverse the wiring polarity between models is beyond me.
Old 30th January 2016, 11:13 AM

Refund received. Seller has now updated his listing:
Quote:
Please note on some older vehicles the polarity of the connectors may need to be switched as the LED's only work correctly when the earth and live are connected the correct way round. Very simple to do just cut the connector wire which connect to the plug and swop the two wires around, not rocket science. You will know if you need to do this as the LED will light up Red instead of White.
To be fair to him, he accepted a decent offer and was always polite but probably didn't quite engage brain fully early enough to fully believe what I was telling him.
Old 2nd February 2016, 04:05 AM

Bizzar how the wrong polarity caused them to be red.

Wonder what else Audi has that's a led swap.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 2nd February 2016, 01:45 PM

They probably use them in two different applications - could be floor lighting in the front door, and rear-facing red in the back door, or something like that. Rather than making two different parts, just make one part containing two LEDs and change the polarity for the different applications
Old 2nd February 2016, 02:08 PM

It appears to be a single LED type (two of them in the unit) which is yellow when unlit but emits the different colours from the same surface.

Never seen it before. But available on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121404381457

Last edited by HPsauce; 2nd February 2016 at 02:10 PM.