A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 3rd April 2014, 04:30 PM

Default Whoops! Honestly, my hand slipped.....

That's probably far too cryptic a title for the content so apologies if this turns out to be of no interest whatsoever lol

Had a search setup on eBay for literally years waiting for a hybrid tv tuner for my rns-e to turn up either in the uk or cheap enough to make it worth shipping from Europe

Familiar ping-ping-ping of half a dozen eBay emails today and there's a uk advertised tuner for less than they tend to charge in Europe, pulled from a high spec late rs6 that's been broken for spares

Quick phone call later and it's mine happy days!

Can now watch the f1 again when sat in a field on a typical Sunday afternoon

Won't arrive till Monday though

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 3rd April 2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Can now watch the f1 again when sat in a field on a typical Sunday afternoon
Where are you mounting the Sky dish?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 3rd April 2014, 05:37 PM

There's an idea!

I only watch the BBC coverage - don't have Sky and don't much want to pay for it.

I suppose now I've got 4G I could just stream it on my phone, but I don't have an S5 so the screen on the RNS-E is bigger!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 3rd April 2014, 05:40 PM

Back in the day I could watch it on my RNS-C with analogue tuner in my old S8, complete with soundtrack on Bose.
Not the same with the new engines, but hey, that's progress!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 5th April 2014, 02:52 PM

Well my parcel was available for collection from UK Mail this morning, so couldn't resist popping down there to collect it! After a morning of doing family stuff I've been out and installed it this afternoon.

Relatively straightforward to get the old one out and all the wiring that was done when RNS-E was installed in mine seems to be of a high standard - no dodgy taped connectors or spare wires hanging out of anything!

Only difficulty, which I think Ian has referenced in the past, was that the 2x2 antenna plugs are spaced differently between the analogue and hybrid tuners. I've managed to take the old plugs apart and push fit the aerial connections but will need to see if I can acquire the correct plastic holders to make sure they don't pop out over time.

'old' analogue RNS-E wiring
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1396709333

New hybrid tuner in place

It even works!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3447.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	7691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3448.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	7692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3449.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	7693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3452.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	519.6 KB
ID:	7694  

Old 5th April 2014, 02:58 PM

Excellent.
Just watching Bahrain qualifying on the iPad courtesy of my sons Sky subscription.
I guess you can sit in the car now and watch the Grand National.

Are the aerials some sort of Fakra connector? Unlikely to come adrift as they are TBH, but dare I suggest a strip of duct tape?

Last edited by HPsauce; 5th April 2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 5th April 2014, 04:01 PM

Great stuff mate, enjoy it

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 5th April 2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Are the aerials some sort of Fakra connector? Unlikely to come adrift as they are TBH, but dare I suggest a strip of duct tape?
Hiya

I assumed the outer part of the aerial would just be an earth, if anything, so it shouldn't hurt if they come into contact since they're not carrying current? I did mess about with my fingers behind the unit in situ and touching the connectors together appeared to have no influence on reception!

I've e-mailed the people I bought the box off to see if they can strip the plugs off the loom of the RS6 it came out of so will see what they say on Monday before I try and figure out if Audi can supply the correct plugs. Interestingly my 2 TV boxes were made within a month of each other in 2008! So this must've been a retrofit in any case as they'd long since stopped building C5s when this tv box was assembled.

So annoying that they're different for no apparent reason.

Took me a while to figure out how to use the new box - it's not intuitive compared to the old analogue one - you use the big knob to bring up the channel listing, whereas going through the menu options brings up a full EPG!

Old 5th April 2014, 05:49 PM

Adrian,

Here is thread how to resolve connectors problem properly:

http://audiforum.us/threads/tv-tuner...nnectors.14750

To fix this problem you need two connectors p/n 4E0 035 672 K

They will cost pennies.
Old 5th April 2014, 06:00 PM

Thanks Sergey

£3.19 each according to Etka - if the place I bought the tuner from can't supply the ones from the car it came out of I'll get those ordered in the week. I figured they'd be a pretty generic part.

On a related subject, I can see there are quite a few analogue version TV tuners listed at prices from £50-200 still! Some have the phono inputs so I can see they'd be useful if you wanted to retrofit a non factory freeview box like HP is doing, but do the later boxes like my 4d0 919 146d serve any useful function anywhere in the world either for analogue TV reception or to allow interfacing with a different input?

I'd quite like to flog it if it's useful to someone but if there's no real market I'll chuck it in the bin now and save myself the bother!