A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 9th February 2019, 02:35 PM

Default Flickering MMI screen

My screen has been flickering at random for a few months now, when it starts, i give the side of the frame a tap, and it stops for a while. But it was slowly getting worse. I've seen teardown videos on youtube, and removing the screen with the mechanism is quite a big job, so i was putting it off until it failed altogether.

However, last weekend i was looking at used screens on ebay and some of the really good pictures clearly showed that the screen hooks onto the mechanism with 4 hook type brackets.

I went to the car armed with a screwdriver set and a little torch.

I could see to torx screws retaining the screen briefly as it rose & fell when i pressed the button.

Finally on the rise motion, i grabbed the screen, stalling it in a "not quite up" position allowing me access to the torx screws.

https://ibb.co/x3Lq2Y0

The screws are really long and loosened enough to lift then hook off the screen.

https://ibb.co/kBjd3kG

I removed the bottom power connector, and the round display connector and reconnected several times, and shook the screen but there was nothing loose.

I then refitted the screen and it hasn't flickered since, but it's only been a week.

There was a fault logged in 5F that i cleared for the stalled screen mechanism.

Albert

Last edited by Albert_Swafega; 9th February 2019 at 02:42 PM.