A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 3rd May 2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Did I miss something? Have Mackies done a wrong ‘un?
The bottom of Spanker's post (#1)

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14939

Quote:
I was expecting £155 + VAT for the job but it was at this time, after all but two staff had gone home, that the subject of the "extra hours" work needed to be discussed.
"How much were you quoted??" said the foreman behind the desk.

"£155 + VAT" I replied

"For an S8??" he quickly responded...

"Yes. I was quoted £155 + VAT when I booked the appointment over the phone earlier in the week", said I, knowing that the person who had quoted me was Lisa Mackie, who was the only other employee in the building and was sat in the same office. She sheepishly did not look up from her computer screen.

The foreman muttered something about the S8 been more difficult to get to because "of the extra hardware" that needed to be moved out of the way. I did not have the knowledge to challenge him on that.

"And then there is the extra 5 hours that our technician has taken to drill and re-tap the sump holes".

Annoyingly I said that to spring such a thing on me at the 11th hour without consultation was a very poor practice (or words to that effect).
We finally agreed on me paying an extra 3 hours for the 5 hours of supplementary work, which at £75 per hour + VAT, brought the total bill to about £456.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 3rd May 2019, 06:44 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

That’s crazy! I know of at least 5 D2 S8s that have been serviced at Mackies (including mine at least 3 times) and the price has always been around the £155 + VAT. I do recall being asked once what I had been quoted and they expressed surprise (but honoured the quote), but my last service was still under £200 including VAT
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 3rd May 2019, 08:06 PM

My BS meter went off the scale when Dean mentioned they were drilling out broken bolts. WTF were they doing to break any of the sump bolts? I've seen under Dean's car and I call shenanigans. Was it trainee day with the impact wrench?
Old 3rd May 2019, 08:10 PM

Might be worth Dean speaking directly to John Mackie himself Mine was £150 odd too.

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 3rd May 2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
My BS meter went off the scale when Dean mentioned they were drilling out broken bolts. WTF were they doing to break any of the sump bolts? I've seen under Dean's car and I call shenanigans. Was it trainee day with the impact wrench?
Maybe someone got their 'Lefty loosey, righty tighty' wrong... a lot!

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:44 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

This is the kind of s**t that could ruin a good reputation overnight. I wonder if John M knows about this
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 4th May 2019, 09:39 AM

Is the £200 job a ‘ dialysis ‘ oil change and the much more expensive job is a sump off and filter or is it same as the Zf jags and land rovers were the full plastic sump is the filter ?
Old 4th May 2019, 04:43 PM

I booked Mackies to service the Auto box on my D3 S8.
I left the car with them to collect the next day. When I collected it they said they'd been unable to remove the sump IIRC because they couldn't remove the exhaust down pipes due to corroded bolts.
It was all a bit vague and confusing to me.
They said that the boss had told them, in the event of being unable to remove the sump, to leave hot ATF circulating throughout the night to purge/clean the system. And that is what they did, apparently. I was also told that because of the volume of ATF consumed to do this, it cost a bomb, but that was something they'd swallow.

My car runs fine and the gear changes are sweet, but then they were before the service

I wasn't to happy with the entire experience and my next transmission service will be elsewhere.

I'm guessing there's a big difference in servicing D2 S8 box to a D3 S8 box
Here's the bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mackie.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	21559  

Last edited by tonupkid; 4th May 2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 4th May 2019, 09:01 PM

I also had a bad experience with mackies, but it was around 2003-4, so probably doesn't count. There was nothing wrong with the gearbox in my Omega, but a couple of us from the owners forum went there and met up to have the gearbox filters and fluid changed.
They charged me for some 'magic potion' to be added, and this was never asked for nor authorised and in fact I only went there because they said they would use Texamatic 7045 rather than some universal stuff elsewhere then they probably changed the properties of this with some potion anyway because the shifts were perfect before and not so great afterwards.

It also weeped around the sump gasket afterwards and dripped about one drip a day, the only reason I can think is they didn't have a new one perhaps and reused the old gasket. There was an email chain at the time and I asked for a refund but they were not apologetic or helpful. If they just knocked off the price of the potion thatw ould have been a good gesture but they just said they add it to every gearbox and never had a problem.

Last edited by snapdragon; 5th May 2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 5th May 2019, 12:49 AM

Maybe anyone who has close link with the owner should raise this

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub