A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Our Other Audi Friends > Other Audis

Other Audis All other Audi related chat

Old 10th May 2019, 01:11 PM

Default A3 1.8TFSI jerky stop/start and slow reponse

Bought a 2013 A3 1.8TFSI quattro DSG in March. I'd be really happy with it if it weren't for these problems. Just trying to find out if they all do this, or mine has some sort of fault.

Only had one stop/start car before and that was a 2013 MB E250. That one wasn't jerky at all when the car restarted and moved off. The A3 however is jerky upon moving off after restarting. It's not really bad but just annoying as I'd expect this to be smooth as per the Merc.

Other issue is responsiveness - if I try to floor it (or just move off) from a standstill, there is always a pause before it does anything. This is perhaps half a second, but my 11 year old Saab which I traded in for this moved off the instant I touched the accelerator. As it's a DSG, at traffic lights I've tried having my left foot on the brake and my right foot hovering over the accelerator. As soon as the lights change I press the accelerator and take my foot off the brake simultaneously. The 15 year old Fiesta in the other lane moves off immediately, and once the A3 has woken up, it then moves and accelerates past.

When it does go, it's brilliant for a 1.8 Auto. Getting the power down way better than my old Saab which had way too much power for the front wheels. Very frustrating though - thinking of getting rid of this and getting an older car. Two that look interesting locally:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...tuning/9520600

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-a8-4...o/183797741343

1999 4.2 V8

2008 Saab 9-5 TiD Estate 185BHP - long gone. The Merc E250 that replaced it has gone too.
Old 10th May 2019, 01:38 PM

Not the same engine, but a similar set-up, I came across this review:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/365360/...rm-report-one/

It lists pluses and minuses at the top, and one of the minuses is "S tronic gearbox can be a bit slow off the mark". Further down the article you get the following:

As we’ve written in the past, the dual-clutch transmission has some hesitancy from a standstill, but once you learn how the gearbox wants to behave it is easy to counteract in most circumstances. There are, however, moments when you plant your foot and seemingly wait a little longer than you’d hope for the initial progress to be made – crossing intersections, for instance.

I have no idea how these DSG gearboxes work, but also found this comment elsewhere:

S holds the box in gear on the clutch so when you hit the throttle it just engages the clutch and goes. D holds the box in neutral so you have a slight delay but you barely notice it (the clutches are very quick in a DSG). Not really checked which M does.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 10th May 2019, 01:50 PM

Thanks for that - I'll give it a go in Sport to see if that makes a difference.

I bought this specific car just because it had Adaptive Cruise. That won't be a must have on my next car.

1999 4.2 V8

2008 Saab 9-5 TiD Estate 185BHP - long gone. The Merc E250 that replaced it has gone too.
Old 10th May 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton View Post
Thanks for that - I'll give it a go in Sport to see if that makes a difference.

I bought this specific car just because it had Adaptive Cruise. That won't be a must have on my next car.

ACC can be a bit marmite and takes some getting used to but is rather good once you learn to trust it.
On the safety side always be ready to jump in.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 11th May 2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
ACC can be a bit marmite and takes some getting used to but is rather good once you learn to trust it.
On the safety side always be ready to jump in.
And... ACC is getting better with each new generation. In addition I like that (My wifes) car is able to jump on the brakes quicker than me in extreme circumstances. It's happened once in three years. I'm not prone to driving close or rear ending people, but these systems are quick to recognise the extent to which seemingly slowing traffic in front is in fact emergency braking.
BTW that situation was caused by an Audi driver making a left turn to go up an acceleration lane on the A38 dual carriageway.
She was nearly T Boned by an artic that had to take to the verge to avoid rear ending the cars in its lane between it and her car.
This was all on the brow of a hill with limited vision of what was unfolding ahead.
Old 11th May 2019, 06:49 PM

Start/Stop technology is another fine example of technology for it's own sake, bugger who invented it should be shot. Thankfully none of my cars have it but whenever I get in any that does it gets switched of sharpish...

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey