A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 17th May 2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Also, on that 3.7 - It looks it came factory with no dimming door mirror glass.
I would never have expected that to even be an option
Old 17th May 2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
I also can't imagine that their first offer is their best offer.
First offer was £5175
I showed them ads
Second offer was £7000
I showed them ads again
Third offer was £8000

But the 'scrap value'...

Last edited by notorious; 17th May 2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 17th May 2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Do you have £2500 of re-usable parts in it? It would be a great shame for that one to end up leaving the community since you have so much good stuff in it like the RNSe.
2010+ RNS-E £500?
Wheels in original paint and mint £1100?
New genuine front suspension with cast iron knuckles?
Audi Digital TV, Audi Bluetooth, AMI?
Gearbox with 3 oil changes?
Engine?
Self dimming mirrors? Electric curtains.
New black door cards?
Button controls in rear armrest?

no idea is it worth £2550 by parts...
Old 17th May 2019, 11:36 AM

Yes then, by a quite a margin. A good gearbox alone is £750-900 when someone needs it, and if you buy another 3.7 its worth keeping it tucked away for when the inevitable happens.

The engine is largely worthless tbh since it needs new tensioners. A working 3.7 can be had for £500, so one which needs £1200 of tensioners is basically a coffee table. That said, all its external parts are useful, especially the inlet manifold.

You easily have £1K of in car entertainment in there, plus £1k of suspension parts.

That's just your special stuff too. There's easily enough value in things like subframes, steering rack, all the plastic trim, glass, panels, etc to make it worth keeping even once you've taken your special parts from it.

Given that you don't have the luxury of returning it to stock before a salvage company would take it away, I would be strongly inclined to keep it even if you can't get them to lower the scrap value, since it would cost you a lot more than that to replace everything.
Old 17th May 2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Given that you don't have the luxury of returning it to stock before a salvage company would take it away, I would be strongly inclined to keep it even if you can't get them to lower the scrap value, since it would cost you a lot more than that to replace everything.
I would agree - their offer on the value is ok, the buy back value is way too high try and negotiate that down but make sure you keep the car for the spares it has on it which are special to you, and which you can use, and dont forget - even after youve taken off everything else you want, the shell and other parts of the car will still have a scrap value as well . . . good luck my friend

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 17th May 2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
After some haggling they can pay £8k for car, BUT scrap value is 31%, which is £2480. 31% is 'non-negotiable'.
Others have already stated the obvious about the 'scrap' value being so high, and I have to agree with them.

I just did a quick search on scrap values and on one site you enter the registration and it gives a price. I used my '01 D2 3.7 and got a scrap value of £157.00 collected. Tie that in with another site (https://www.scrapcarnetwork.org/news...ices-guide-uk/) which gives the following table of guide prices:

and I personally see that as the insurance company/companies trying to screw you. The real scrap value is peanuts, but because they know how much the car means to you, they are sticking their arm in, hoping you'll want to buy it back. If you do, then it just means that they cut their payout to you by two grand. Offer them £480 max on the basis that you will need to spend a substantial amount repairing it, as the Cat S implies.

BTW This is what I found out about a Category S classification:

The new Category S means the vehicle has suffered structural damage. This could include a bent or twisted chassis, or a crumple zone that has collapsed in a crash. Category S damage is more than just cosmetic, therefore, and the vehicle will need to be professionally repaired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CarScrapValues.png
Views:	454
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	21632  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 17th May 2019, 01:08 PM

I'm sure an aluminium bodied car has a higher scrap value than it's steel counterpart?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 17th May 2019, 02:05 PM

Covea explained me that they have progressive scale for scrap value.

If I would accept their 1st £5k offer, then scrap value would be 25%
But £8k offer scrap value goes up to 31% -- next 'bracket'.

I haven't asked them what scrap value would be for car valued £1k.
Maybe I'd be £100, who knows...

I wonder what HPSauce knows about it with all his insurance experience?

Last edited by notorious; 17th May 2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 17th May 2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Covea explained me that they have progressive scale for scrap value.

If I would accept their 1st £5k offer, then scrap value would be 25%
But £8k offer scrap value goes up to 31% -- next 'bracket'.

I haven't asked them what scrap value would be for car valued £1k.
Maybe I'd be £100, who knows...

I wonder what HPSauce knows about it with all his insurance experience?
I still think what you're being told by the insurance company is bulls**t! First they offer you £5k, and after negotiations, you've now got that up to £8k, so they're already £3k down.

You've offered to buy back the car, but for some inexplicable reason, it's 'buy back' value is proportional to the amount they're willing to pay out, which is £2480. The car hasn't sustained any additional damage since the £5k offer, so why should it cost more to buy back because the payout value has gone up? Now, since insurance companies are there to make money, can anyone realistically expect that insurance company to dispose of the car to a salvage company for £2480?

Ignoring the fact that my D2 is nowhere near the quality, the bodywork is intact, it's doesn't have a Category S classification, and yet true 'scrap value' is only £157. Sorry, but I just see this as yet another motorist being ripped off by insurance companies.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 17th May 2019, 03:53 PM

Thanks steamship, I agree with you. Insurance industry here is dangerously near to bullsh*t.

Received this from them by email
"
I’ve had a chat with the engineers and reviewed all evidence provided by yourself
Unfortunately, we are unable to increase the amount any further.
Therefore, the pre-accidental amount remains at £8000. With a salvage amount of 31%, £2480.
Meaning we would pay you £5520 if you wanted to keep the vehicle .
If you wanted to salvage the vehicle we would pay £5520, then once the vehicle was collected we would pay a further £2480.
Please let me know what you wish to do and I apologise the value was unable to be increased.
"
but haven't replied yet.

I have a gut feel there's another £1000 gap that needs to be bridged.

I'll do nothing for now and see how the story will unfold.

My 1st in life experience dealing with this...

Last edited by notorious; 17th May 2019 at 04:29 PM.