A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Alternative Fuels

Alternative Fuels For all those conversations about LPG, Electric, Hydrogen. Anything but petrol and diesel...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th January 2017, 11:22 AM

Question Forum Project - Electric D2?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I know this is a crazy idea, but it sounds so interesting to me I have to give it a shot.

How does everyone feel about a joint forum project to convert a D2 to electric?
The donor car would be one without an engine and trans, or where both engine or trans have failed. Or simply one which is ultra cheap.

I admit I don't know how the logistics would work on this, and I certainly would not have the technical knowledge to lead the project or be a major contributor as there are much more technical members here, but I'm willing to put effort and money in to make it happen.

The central idea would be to keep it ultra cheap, with parts such as motors etc from scrap yards. The range does not have to be huge, maybe even as low as 10 to 20 miles so it would just be a daily runaround.
Also to keep the conversion simple so that it can be replicated by individuals who might want to have a electric D2 runaround.

I notice that there are quite a few Nissan Leafs being broken these days, and lithium batteries are coming down in price, so it may be feasible.

Or as a cheaper option, motors could be found from scrap yards and old lead acid batteries refurbed?

The added bonus would be that we would be saving D2 bodies if this could be made to work.

Let me know your thoughts.