A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 1st February 2024, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post

Our MOTs are done through the DVA, which is a government agency, so that sums up this shambles.
Pretty sure in NI that at one point they weren't even doing emissions tests on most vehicles? Or certainly not the correct ones anyway.....

Presume the authorities take adequate account if ANPR pops up a 'no MOT' flag, assuming you can produce evidence that you've at least booked before it expired?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 1st February 2024, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Pretty sure in NI that at one point they weren't even doing emissions tests on most vehicles? Or certainly not the correct ones anyway.....
Sort of correct. They do the emissions test on petrol vehicles but not diesel. Someone in their infinite wisdom decided it was too risky to their health! I kid you not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Presume the authorities take adequate account if ANPR pops up a 'no MOT' flag, assuming you can produce evidence that you've at least booked before it expired?
Again, sort of. The ABI and PSNI have an agreement in place. e.g. my MOT expires 20th May and say the earliest date I can get is 14th August. If I'm stopped by the police here and can provide proof of the impending test, then it's okay. However, that only applies to Northern Ireland. If I was to go over to annual meet at the start of June with a 'roadworthy' vehicle and get stopped by the police, I'm done for as there is no agreement made with the rest of the UK.

All this harks back to the start of 2020 and the failure of 52 of the 55 lifts they had, with them carrying out more MOTs than expected and not inspecting the lifts properly. They are now doing even more MOTs than usual, and the backlog is currently three months. It's even worse if you need to tax your car, as then you're really up a certain creek with no paddles in sight.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 1st February 2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
It's even worse if you need to tax your car, as then you're really up a certain creek with no paddles in sight.
You need to try and employ my strategy if possible:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
The main thing I do aim for is to separate the MOT and tax renewal as far as possible, or at least have the tax before (not after) the MOT if they're close.
A combination of SORN (a saving) and 6 months tax (small extra cost) has allowed me to do that.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st February 2024, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
You need to try and employ my strategy if possible:A combination of SORN (a saving) and 6 months tax (small extra cost) has allowed me to do that.
Thankfully I already have that, courtesy of the car being off the road last year for four months, but there are loads of people here having that exact issue.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 1st February 2024, 06:36 PM

Nightmare - that's refreshed my memory (I've not worked in vehicle emissions for about 6 or 7 years now).

I seem to recall nobody on the roadworthiness side in London was aware of what was going on for quite some time

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 7th February 2024, 10:52 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Does a mainland MOT count for you Sean? Pop over on the ferry and get one done in Holyhead?

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 7th February 2024, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
Does a mainland MOT count for you Sean? Pop over on the ferry and get one done in Holyhead?
I did think about that as a possibility, but then it would be a case of what happens if it were to fail, as I'd then be stuck in Holyhead with a car with a failed MOT.

I did some Googling to see if others had come across this issue, but could only find very old posts, so I phoned DVSA to get the real facts (about a 30 second wait and a very helpful and informative person). The good news is that yes, I could just get the car MOTed over there, which seems logical enough, but it has a downside. The MOT would be registered with the DVLA, and I would not be able to tax my car online, as they won't 'see' the MOT as my car is registered with DVLNI, and I would therefore have to tax my car at the Post Office. The same would apply if a GB registered car was MOTed in NI.

It reminds me of a story my brother told me. Years ago when we still had the tax discs and you taxed your vehicle at the Post Office, my brother was working in London. He went to the Post Office to tax his van, and was told he couldn't tax it there. He then had to phone his wife here, get here to tax the van at the Post Office, and then post the tax disc over to him in London.

I did get a suggestion from the DVSA rep which I'll be following up on, as that might be another option, both for me and my other brother as well, as he will soon be heading off to the mainland soon for a funeral, and he refuses to fly.

Old 8th February 2024, 01:56 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Fingers Crossed.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.