A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Fuel and Exhausts

D3 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 6th March 2017, 12:05 AM

Default Fuel consumption S8

Hey guys

Firstly, I know I know, owning a V10 5.2 and asking about fuel consumption???!

I come from a number of performance Audis, so spending time at my local Shell is something im quite accustomed to

My question is, my previous car was a 4.2 V8 RS4, I'm in London and with mostly town driving, i was averaging 19-21mpg

However, in this beast, I'm lucky to get 11-12?!

Is this the norm or do I have some sort of issue?
Old 6th March 2017, 12:17 AM

That is a good norm.
My average is 9-11mpg.
On few occasions I've seen 16mpg, but that was driving across London at early hours with very little traffic and being gentle on the throttle.
So don't worry, your car is fine and just enjoy it.

Remember, the less mpg the better the car is
And if I could visit Shell everyday just to smell petrol I would, so often visits are just a pleasure

PS. I've meet a guy/dealer recently who sold you your car. Nice bloke and an A8 enthusiast. We had a good chat in general and of course about the colour of your S8

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten

Last edited by M-A8; 6th March 2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 6th March 2017, 12:31 AM

Phew, that's ok then, as long as there isn't an underlying issue, that was my concern.

Yes the fella who sold mine was fairly clued up on his A8s, he had 3 others sitting there

Still trying to sort a few bits, but other than that thoroughly enjoying her

Weathers terrible, but I need to start posting fresh pics, should have a few updates over the next few weeks

New grill, front splitter and wheels ;-)
Old 6th March 2017, 01:07 AM

Figures on your old RS4 look very good, was that based on the DIS? as sounds a tad high if your commuting. When I do similar in the 4.2 S8 I get around 16mpg and in the 5.0 RS6 around 12mpg. However when I get out on the wide open A82 to Glencoe though I probably get about 10 and 6 from them...

As someone on here once said "buying cars like these and worrying about fuel consumption is a bit like buying a boat and worrying about it getting wet"...best enjoy I think

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 6th March 2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 6th March 2017, 02:22 AM

Yes based on DIS, in both cases, it's not so much the £££s on fuel, I was only concerned if my MPG is lower than most others on here in case there was another issue causing the low figures, if I'm getting 11mpg and the engine is running sweet I'm happy with that

Plus I'm sure the auto box plays a part in the lower comnsuomtion compared to the manual RS4

Don't get me wrong, staying heavy on the loud pedal on the V8 got me 8-9!!!!

Last edited by N11LS_J; 6th March 2017 at 02:43 AM.
Old 6th March 2017, 05:52 AM

I've been tracking ALL my running costs on this car since the first day I bought it using Road Trip HD on the iPad. I've had her since 15 January 2016.

I've seen as high as 22mpg over the course of a full tank before, and as low as 14mpg over the course of a tank too - those low tanks skew the numbers slightly, but I average about 19mpg to a full tank with a good healthy mix of hard blasts (drops to about 10mpg) and motorway cruising (I've seen as high as 25.6mpg). The key for me is using the cruise control and settling into longer drives with the B&O blasting.

Old 6th March 2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
...and being gentle on the throttle.
Marcin, are you sure?

I can get 20-24mpg if driving steady but 16-20mpg is typical, obviously much less when you cane it.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 6th March 2017, 10:55 AM

Well Ollie, believe or not I will do on average 1-2 trips a year like that across London 20-36miles depending on the location early in the morning, but mainly because I'm still half asleep and don't want to spill my coffee.
It's a murder hence I don't do it often

By the way Ollie, I think I will revisit Fast Lane guys to remove other two resonators just before the remap and injectors clean.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 6th March 2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
I've been tracking ALL my running costs on this car since the first day I bought it using Road Trip HD on the iPad. I've had her since 15 January 2016.

I've seen as high as 22mpg over the course of a full tank before, and as low as 14mpg over the course of a tank too - those low tanks skew the numbers slightly, but I average about 19mpg to a full tank with a good healthy mix of hard blasts (drops to about 10mpg) and motorway cruising (I've seen as high as 25.6mpg). The key for me is using the cruise control and settling into longer drives with the B&O blasting.

Using your data as source data but adjusting for my mileage over 20 months of my ownership, I have put £15k of fuel in!!!! BLOODY HELL, no one tell my wife!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 6th March 2017, 04:38 PM

ouch!!!! £15K?