A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Common Faults

D2 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 23rd March 2012, 09:32 AM

If it's not doing it on the PF (and you do have to literally floor the throttle in tip), then you may have some slack in the throttle cable, check and see if you can adjust it where it meets the engine.

I know.. I know..

Old 15th January 2013, 08:35 AM

The easiest way to test kick down button:

1. Car is parked. Gearbox is in "P" position.
2. Ignition is OFF.
3. Marker lights are ON, all buttons are lit red.

Push accelerator pedal and press kick down button. "+" and "-" LEDs on the gearbox panel will switch to full power (just like in Tiptronic mode).
Release kick down button. "+" and "-" LEDS return to half capacity burning.

The above procedure only works when gearbox is in "P" position, only with ignition OFF, and only when marker lights are ON.
Old 21st January 2013, 02:07 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

What are the 'marker lights'? I tried this with the ignition on (but engine not running) and it seemed to work. Initially nothing, until I turned the kick down switch on - then it did just as you said.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 21st January 2013, 02:13 PM

>> What are the 'marker lights'?

Lights stalk one step up

>> I tried this with the ignition on (but engine not running) and it seemed to work

Interesting. Perhaps I didn't notice something
Old 21st January 2013, 08:10 PM

Marker lights are simply having your lights set on the sidelight setting / sidelights on Jim, so that the switchgear all glows red

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:10 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Yes, it works like Sergie said. Mine was switched off - can't wait to give it a try!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 16th February 2013, 11:35 PM

Mine has got to be turned off as it won't kick down. Ill be checking this in the morning and hope that its just in the off position.
Old 17th February 2013, 01:05 PM

It works now to watch the MPG go down
Old 17th February 2013, 03:21 PM

Definitely the cheapest, easiest and quickest performance upgrade... . Fuel consumption only gets worse when you use it
Old 24th December 2016, 06:14 PM

Default Blinking flip!

Well, resurrecting an age-old thread from back in the mists of time...

I checked mine this afternoon by flooring it in 3rd gear whilst in Tiptronic aka manual mode. Nothing. Not a sniff. Pulled over to the side of the road, turned my knob clockwise (ooo-errr) about an eighth of a turn. I pulled back into a line of traffic and waited a bit before sinking my right foot to the floor. All I can say is that my silver QEII left her berth at a very rude rate of knots and that's probably an understatement. I will admit to being a little bit scared when the gearbox lumped it into first gear (from third gear at 30mph) as it pretty much red-lined straight away.

I am sure that I won't be using this facility on a regular basis but will leave it enabled. It has always struck me how lethargic the auto box can be, especially when you want to get a move on. If I ever have a situation where I can safely 'boot' it in order to avoid a possible accident, it is now possible to extricate one's self out of harm's way. Thank you for this beautiful nugget of old information. It was certainly news to me.

Tags
facelift a8 d2 kickdown