A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 27th November 2017, 12:38 PM

Default D4 wheels on D3

Well I finally found a very nice set of 19" D4 wheels for my D3. Obviously I knew the offset is different, but I didn't expect to notice much difference in how the car feels. However, the steering feels very different now, if there is any unevenness on the road I can feel it through the steering wheel. Have others noticed similar and is there anything I can do to mitigate it? 4 wheel alignment has been done. I think some linkage on the front suspension will need to be replaced in the next service, but the car felt fine with the old wheels. I am even tempted to put the old wheels back...
Old 27th November 2017, 04:03 PM

I have D4 wheels on my D3. Went from 17s to 19s, slightly different offset, wider tyres, smaller profile. I did notice slightly more tyre noise and a slight deterioration in comfort. Nothing major.

The car cornered like it had a balloon in each corner previously, now is much more direct and positive. But, for ultimate comfort and lower tyre roar 17s are king!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 27th November 2017, 04:06 PM

Double post fail.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 27th November 2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
I have D4 wheels on my D3. Went from 17s to 19s, slightly different offset, wider tyres, smaller profile. I did notice slightly more tyre noise and a slight deterioration in comfort. Nothing major.

The car cornered like it had a balloon in each corner previously, now is much more direct and positive. But, for ultimate comfort and lower tyre roar 17s are king!
Hi Johnmed. My wheels are same as yours The tyre profile is actually the same as my old, which where 255/45/18, these being 255/45/19. So there is no change in comfort or noise, just the way the steering feels on uneven road surfaces etc.
Old 27th November 2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audifin View Post
Hi Johnmed. My wheels are same as yours The tyre profile is actually the same as my old, which where 255/45/18, these being 255/45/19. So there is no change in comfort or noise, just the way the steering feels on uneven road surfaces etc.
Even more curiouser!!!!!????

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 27th November 2017, 09:36 PM

Worth checking the tyre pressures. If mine differ, even a little, it becomes fidgety and prone to tramlining
Old 28th November 2017, 05:48 AM

The centre bore of the wheel is larger on D4 wheels so you need to use spigot rings to reduce the bore (I used aluminium ones) to go from 66mm to 57.1 (from memory) and that helps to centre the wheel and hold it in position. I've done this with the D4 spoked wheels I bought from another forum member and it works fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	17549  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 28th November 2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
The centre bore of the wheel is larger on D4 wheels so you need to use spigot rings to reduce the bore (I used aluminium ones) to go from 66mm to 57.1 (from memory) and that helps to centre the wheel and hold it in position. I've done this with the D4 spoked wheels I bought from another forum member and it works fine
Hi Neil, yes I did use spigot rings
Old 28th November 2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Worth checking the tyre pressures. If mine differ, even a little, it becomes fidgety and prone to tramlining
I did check tyre pressure when I fitted the wheels, but worth checking again for sure.
Old 10th December 2017, 07:54 PM

Just a thought, have you had a look at how true the wheels are? I had to replace my rear nearside as it had a ~4mm flat spot. Made the drive pretty awful. Purely a stab in the dark, as your symptoms aren’t the same.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56