A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 9th April 2012, 09:34 PM

Default Wheel refurb...

Needed a spare wheel for the car so managed to buy one from fleebay. It needed refurbished and some kerbing marks taken out so I decided to do this today.

400 grade sandpaper on the DA sander to remove the powdercoating, then grade 400 wet & dry followed with 1200 grade wet & dry and finally 2000 grade wet & dry.

Once this was done some Solvol Autosol applied with the rotary polisher soon had the alloy shining.

Still needs a little work and once I have achieved the finish I require I will have it etched and lacquered

Click image to view full size

Click image to view full size

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro

Last edited by 47p2; 10th April 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10th April 2012, 06:55 AM

very shiny, how much work did you put in to that?
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 10th April 2012, 10:29 AM

The hard work is in removing the powder coating and sanding back with wet & dry. Oddly enough the wet & dry does not last long when sanding the wheels, the alloy seems to rip the surface from the paper.

The secret is to work your way through the different grades of wet & dry finishing with grade 2000, then the actual polishing is only a matter of a couple of minutes per spoke

Old 10th April 2012, 01:17 PM

So I managed to finish polishing the wheel today, I decided there were too many marks still on it and started by rubbing down again with the wet & dry grade 2000. This took the best part of an hour as there was some tiny pit-marks that had filled with polish, these have to be removed to achieve a reasonable result.

Click images for full size

This is the tiny marks that must be sanded out

The aim is to have a uniform even finish

Once prepared it took a maximum of 10 minutes to polish the wheel using the rotary and 10 minutes to finish by hand

The alloy used in wheel making is not completely smooth, so a complete mirror finish would be almost impossible, plus if it was a mirror finish the lacquer would not adhere to it properly, so I am happy with my efforts. Just need to get it to the paint shop now for the painter to do his bit

Old 17th October 2012, 06:48 AM

After having this thread I have knowledge that I can buy the tyres which could be bravo in quality. That is really awesome.
Its my goodness to have this idea.
Thanks man.

Last edited by glamor; 20th October 2012 at 01:19 PM.