A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 3rd October 2023, 09:42 AM

There is fluid loss from the ps cooler and the atf cooler. Brake hose clamp tools are handy to block off the ps hoses to reduce the amount which escapes.
Laser 7254 Hose Clamp

All the non-genuine rads I've seen come from the same Chinese tooling. The Mahle one just has an expensive sticker on it.

Ramps will be fine and won't affect refilling the ATF
Old 3rd October 2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummagnet View Post
Is there fluid loss from the PS cooler? This being the messy bit?
In a word, yes. In terms of everything else, MJ is the expert.

From a personal standpoint, and finally replacing the radiator five years after asking the question, my experience was somewhat different. I had the entire front end off the car, so can only comment on radiator fitment. I purchased a budget priced one, and the only fitting issue I experienced was the threaded stud used to hold the piece of plastic trim at the top of the radiator. I documented it all in the following post, but it's very long with lots of photos, but it's the black threaded stud in this photo:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....3&postcount=52

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 3rd October 2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
There is fluid loss from the ps cooler and the atf cooler. Brake hose clamp tools are handy to block off the ps hoses to reduce the amount which escapes.
Laser 7254 Hose Clamp

All the non-genuine rads I've seen come from the same Chinese tooling. The Mahle one just has an expensive sticker on it.

Ramps will be fine and won't affect refilling the ATF
Aha. I have clamps. Will ramp it and I will remove the front bumper - saw a chap on youtube do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I purchased a budget priced one, and the only fitting issue I experienced was the threaded stud used to hold the piece of plastic trim at the top of the radiator.
I did spot a genuine one on tradition but getting it here safely (as MJ mentioned a while back) would be a challenge?

'Budget' radiator it is then.

Thanks guys.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 3rd October 2023, 10:41 AM

iirc its fairly random whether that threaded bung is pointed the right way or not. When I get a backwards one I just drill it out and fit a rivnut.

I've had reasonable quality and success with NRF aircon parts, and their D2 rad is about mid-priced. The pic in this ebay listing does have the threaded doodad in the right direction I think.
Old 17th October 2023, 04:36 PM

Well, all done. Budget radiator in and all seems good. Had an issue where the ATF connections didn't appear to seat properly but a quick message to MJ confirmed all is well.

The ATF loss, not sure about 200ml but stuck 200ml back in just in case

One thing I did note was the ATF was pink coming out but the stuff I managed to buy was clear. Not an issue I am thinking

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231015_163130.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	673.1 KB
ID:	30002  
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 21st October 2023, 02:25 PM

It was filled with red atf at some point in its past. I emptied as much as I could and refilled with AG52, but the pink dye will be persistent for some time.
Old 21st October 2023, 09:11 PM
Banned

A dynamic oil atf change would flush it properly but I was quoted £500 for that recently
Old 22nd October 2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
A dynamic oil atf change would flush it properly...
...with whatever red ATF has the best profit margin for the owner of the machine