A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 6th September 2013, 01:49 PM

I have no answer to that question yet -- need to gather statistics. I fit hormann doors to garage these days so car is not garaged ...

All I know for sure is that radio control mode stays for 3 days even if there is no single signal received for 3 days (and transmitter broadcasts signal continuously). Then the mast will switch off until signal is caught again. AFAIK when mast is displayed again cluster still remembers the delta between CET and UK time, so clock won't jump 1 hour.

Ask Goran who has German car.
Old 6th September 2013, 01:57 PM

I would think it shouldn't struggle - my little AAA powered alarm clock links to the Rugby clock and manages to get a signal indoors through several layers of insulation even with the antenna long since broken off!

A single skin garage with no insulation shouldn't prove too problematic....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 9th September 2013, 05:03 PM

Well looking on ebay I found 1 of these for sale by our forum sponsors (they've had a few left hookers in to break over the years, apparently) so spoke to Dave and ordered it today

Will need to order the bracket from TPS as A8parts didn't keep it when they stripped the car

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 9th September 2013, 05:30 PM

Don't order bracket for now. Try to install with screws in the standard recess behind cluster as OEM place for receiver may be difficult to reach. You will only need two screws from my list to install receiver in the recess behind cluster. Or you can use double sided foam tape with some cable tires to fix it anywhere under dash when knee panel is removed.
Old 9th September 2013, 06:20 PM

Will I need to remove cluster to install in that spot, or should I be able to get to it from underneath?

Old 9th September 2013, 08:22 PM

I have published photograph where I hold receiver in my hand with wire going to cluster from behind. You can get to this position without removing cluster. You can then fix receive anywhere you want behind the knee panel.

Getting to OEM spot to fix receiver with OEM bracket in the center of dash is only possible if you remove cluster, but it is still very difficult to get to to OEM spot because of space shortage.

I never tried to I install in recess behind cluster. I think audi dicided not to do it for a reason, but I have no ideal for what reason.

You can remove knee panel now before you got receiver and study the area.

Hope it helps.
Old 9th September 2013, 08:49 PM

Do you always disconnect battery when doing these little jobs or not worry about it? I don't appear to have the radio code for my rns-e so bit nervous of unplugging!

Will have a look in elsawin for trim removal instructions and see what I can see. Might be just as easy to pull the cluster. It must've been out to do the rns-e wiring so hopefully not too tricky to get out!

Will need to get it coded as don't have vcds

Old 9th September 2013, 10:25 PM

In general I don't worry about battery, but I'm very careful

In this particular situation I have removed instrument cluster and disconnected all connections from it without disconnecting battery. I have done this way many times. This time I removed cluster because I also fitted CAN Gateway behind instrument cluster and that project still continues. That project is not related to radio controlled clock. When I connected connectors back in place I don't remember if connector with clock receiver was connected before or after connector that supplies power to the cluster, so I won't bother if I was you.

With cluster out I tried to access the OEM place for clock receiver in the middle of dashboard. In ELSA Audi claims you can get there through cluster opening, but I just don't understand how I can attach bracket with a screw in such tight place. I tried to leave receiver there temporarily without attaching it, but it didn't catch signal after 2 or 3 days and I explained it to myself because I have heated windscreen which blocks all radio waves. I then put receiver into driver's door pocket (it has long wire) and the antenna symbol appeared next morning. I'm still contemplating about best non-OEM place to attach it to in my car.

If you'll decide to pull the cluster just throw towel on steering wheel upper trim / cowl. If you won't do it the cluster will scratch it. It can also scratch the upper area of steering column surround trim, so be careful. When I removed my cluster first time I have wrapped it with Audi's sticky felt tape that partially protects me form that trouble. I still need to be careful. I personally find that removing knee trim is easier.

How it happened that you don't know your RNS-E code? This is weird.

No VAG COM cable? This is even more weird I can't do anything electrically without VAG COM. I purchased genuine cable recently, but I can sell you my old one. It works with VAG COM v908, which is more than enough for K-line cars. Because I now fit CAN Gateway and experiment with 'over the CAN' diagnostics I need to have latest VCDS so I've got genuine cable. Or just purchase Chinese cable off ebay. It is a must have if you're serious about car.
Old 10th September 2013, 07:31 AM

Having spent an age up under the dash of the A6 I've got fairly good at getting to fixings you can only feel rather than see! Wonder if taking the RNS-E out would improve access or if it would be too low?

Ref the code, although I know the unit was a factory reconditioned one bought from Audi and I have the handbook, it was only a couple of years after buying the car that I realised the code isn't in the front of the handbook and should be on a separate card, which I don't have I'm sure I can get the code via my local dealer, but it's obviously less hassle not to need to.

Don't have VCDS etc due to cost - mine has never thrown a code apart from a faulty ABS sensor and the F125 switch, and I got those read locally for free. I will invest at some point but to change a bit from 0 to 1 I can hopefully get someone to do that for me Let me know what you'd want for your old cable

Old 10th September 2013, 08:35 AM

To get to middle if dash from center we need to remove not only RNS-E, but also rns-e frame, wich means HVAC too and central air vent. £20 for cable. But I think on ebay you can get one for even cheaper.