A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 28th November 2015, 09:56 AM

aye unless your fortunate enough to build your own water wheel to harness the everlasting supply of rain in Scotland the only other alternative is tap into the street lights like all the neds on the housing estate do.

Old 28th November 2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
aye unless your fortunate enough to build your own water wheel to harness the everlasting supply of rain in Scotland the only other alternative is tap into the street lights like all the neds on the housing estate do.
Ah, Neds. I remember them too well - and this:-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1560970/

very vividly (and accurately…) brought back some of the joys of growing up in Glasgow in the '70's . Great film, if a bit uncomfortable to watch at times.
Old 17th December 2015, 05:29 PM

my daughter has an A6 Avant with the EA189 diesel engine
she has just received a letter from MK saying how sorry they are that her vehicle is involved in the NOx issue [ perhaps they can't spell scandal ]
they state that on her particular engine [ 2.0 TDI ]the solution will involve a software update to the engine management system and that they expect that this will take around 30 minutes

they then state
OUR OBJECTIVE IS TO ACHIEVE THE APPLICABLE EMISSIONS TARGETS WITHOUT AFFECTING ENGINE OUTPUT , FUEL CONSUMPTION OR PERFORMANCE .HOWEVER , AS ALL MODEL VARIANTS HAVE TO BE MEASURED FIRST , WE CANNOT GIVE A FINAL CONFIRMATION JUST YET

How insulting is that !!! having disregarded their obligation to be truthful in the first place they now expect their customers to accept work when they are not sure of the results but also expect them to believe that they implemented their cheat programmes when they could have done it correctly in the first place !
you will not be surprised to know that we both ended up ROFLOAO
Old 17th December 2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebesset View Post
my daughter has an A6 Avant with the EA189 diesel engine
she has just received a letter from MK saying how sorry they are that her vehicle is involved in the NOx issue [ perhaps they can't spell scandal ]
they state that on her particular engine [ 2.0 TDI ]the solution will involve a software update to the engine management system and that they expect that this will take around 30 minutes

they then state
OUR OBJECTIVE IS TO ACHIEVE THE APPLICABLE EMISSIONS TARGETS WITHOUT AFFECTING ENGINE OUTPUT , FUEL CONSUMPTION OR PERFORMANCE .HOWEVER , AS ALL MODEL VARIANTS HAVE TO BE MEASURED FIRST , WE CANNOT GIVE A FINAL CONFIRMATION JUST YET

How insulting is that !!! having disregarded their obligation to be truthful in the first place they now expect their customers to accept work when they are not sure of the results but also expect them to believe that they implemented their cheat programmes when they could have done it correctly in the first place !
you will not be surprised to know that we both ended up ROFLOAO
I wouldn't be first in the queue to have my car mucked about with, that's for sure.

It reminds of the an update I think Sony Ericsson put out about 15 years ago, I think it was for the t68i or something similar. If memory serves me well, they billed it as some great update that had an animated splash screen or something quite meaningful at the time.

Turned out their motives for eagerly 'updating' everyone's phones was they'd been unsuccessful in securing continued rights to the game Tetris or never had the right to distribute it as part of the phones firmware in the first place. When the phones came back the SW was almost identical, yet a certain game was conspicuous by its absence.

Corporations are amazing

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.

Last edited by Johnmed; 17th December 2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 17th December 2015, 08:33 PM

so here's a question

you take your car to the audi agent for a routine service [ my daughter has OCD for a perfect service book ]
you tell them no flashing [ she would , wouldn't she ]
you get it back ...how do you know whether they did it or not , they wouldn't admit it if they 'forgot ' , would they

Last edited by lebesset; 17th December 2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 17th December 2015, 08:54 PM

Get it in writing from the service manager in writing that they will not change any programming.

As far as I'm aware it's up to the customer and it's not mandatory to have the update performed.

Old 23rd December 2015, 09:12 PM

German emissions scandal threatens to engulf Mercedes, BMW

http://www.dw.com/en/german-emission...bmw/a-18937447

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 5th January 2016, 11:47 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

US sues Volkswagen over defeat device scandal

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/01/...evice-scandal/

Quote:
In addition, the US says that Volkswagen Group must pay civil penalties of $32,500 per affected car made before 2009 and $37,500 per affected car made after 2009 for each of two violations of the Clean Air Act, as well as between $2,750 and $3,750 for each defeat device found on the affected cars.
$32,500 - $37,500 per affected car!?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 5th January 2016, 12:39 PM

I think this just shows that the US regulators - like a lot of VAG customers - have lost patience with VW doing nothing substantive to fix this since the story broke months ago. The EPA announcement mentions this, so I think these compensation figures are meant to make VW "wake up and get real", rather than being actual amounts expected, which I expect would bankrupt VW/VAG.
Old 5th January 2016, 07:09 PM

Their (VW) shares bounced back up soon after the media storm.
They dropped to $90 due to the scandal then bounced back to $130 per share in December. And they are still hovering around $120.
I wish I got in on some of that action