A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 4th April 2013, 12:59 PM

This email originated in USA 10+ years ago. I suppose it may have been true. Back in those days in USA with cocrete roads, long life tyres, wallowy suspension, and basic mechanical cruise control, it probably causes this probem, especially in those awful RWD pickup 'trucks' with 90:10 weight distrubution. I can see how hitting standing water with the situations above could cause a sudden slowdown and then the cruise would downshift and give too much gas for the prevailing conditions, spin the wheels, reduce gas to compensate and spin out.
Old 4th April 2013, 01:58 PM

I had a new Ford Focus last year for a few months and experienced some aquaplaning in that. As soon as it hit the standing water, the cruise control cut out and the ESP light blinked quickly.

Surely its best to just stay on the power through the standing water? Or turn ESP off when on a wet fast road??
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 4th April 2013, 10:00 PM

This has happened to me' on snow.
Years ago in my Renault 25 I was driving at 40'ish on packed snow, on a straight road.
Suddenly one of the (front driven) wheels started to spin like crazy while the revs went bananas. The car slewed sideways with me and my passenger facing the nearside hedge while still moving at quite a speed.
I couldn't switch of the wheel mounted cruise as I was clutching the wheel on full oppy lock, and I didn't want to brake. I jabbed the pedal enough though to cancel the cruise and thankfully the Renault followed my opposite lock, and straightened up.
It happened so fast.
I figured the wheel feeding the stopped info wheel lost traction on the snow, the cruise upped the revs to maintain the programmed speed and with a simple dumb old diff it was then a case of feedback going berserk.
Since then I tend not to use cruise on snow and have told everyone who will listen the same. I do however suspect our more clever cars won't react in this way.

BTW After we straightened up and were once more lookingng a road rather than a hedge in front of the bonnet, my passenger turned to me and dead pan said "do you often do that?"
Old 4th April 2013, 10:39 PM

That doesn't make sense unless the speed sensor was linked to the back wheels.
If, as is normal, it was on the gearbox then a wheel revving up and increased engine revs would say "too fast" to the cruise control.
Unless it was a VERY simplistic system that just set the throttle at a fixed place. But that wouldn't keep a constant speed up or down hills.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!