A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 1st February 2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Come over, we can watch it on my Samsung 65 inch suhd telebox!! Get Del to bring his and we can do both at the same time!
Lol

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 1st February 2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Come over, we can watch it on my Samsung 65 inch suhd telebox!! Get Del to bring his and we can do both at the same time!
Now that sounds like a good idea

Old 3rd February 2018, 12:14 AM

Ok so I fixed the passenger side today as well. Video on the cutting room floor (I need to learn how to edit lots of video's into one)
Give me a few days and a handy video guide will be on its way!!
Old 25th February 2018, 09:50 AM

Wish you had done this last year! I did cut mine open but finding a micro switch to fit and making sure that it all stayed together and not have to strip the door down if it moves, kind of put me off and for piece of mind bought a new one for £160.

I did buy a second hand one but that had the exact problem and there was only £30 difference.
Old 25th February 2018, 07:35 PM

A new one does sort the problem out, however you know its gonna go at some point, if you are lucky not before you sell the car!
And second hand is a waste of time, they all get sold as working when they are shot.
Old 19th May 2020, 05:04 PM

Default Soft Close / Replacement microswitch to Maplin N96AQ

Quote:
ok, bit of a write up on the micro switch repair.
I hope it is of some help to people.
Any questions feel free to ask if I have not covered something you want to know about.
first you obviously need to remove the door card, there are guides out there so I wont go over that one again.
next you need to pop out the 2 large rubber gromits and buzz down the window till the orange plastic is visable with the torx screws. ( need to plug the door card back in for this to work)
remove both screws and leave the window runners where they are or you will struggle to get the inner panel off without breaking something.
Next support the window in its closedl position somehow, suction cups didnt work for me so used tape.
next remove 12 torx screws from the inner panel, the 3 x8mm nuts that hold the soft close motor in place.
Push the 2 rubber gromits that both bowden cables are in through the panel.
remove the soft close motor and unclip from the back the plastic connector and pop off the ball end of the bowden cable ( this is obvious when you se it)
make sure all electrical connectors are popped off and any securing points on the panel for them are removed.
once all this is done you can take the inner panel off!
You have 2 x8mm multipoint (NOT TORX) screws you need to remove to get the latch out.
once they are off you have to remove a plastic cover, 2 points on it are sprung clipped to the main body, a small flathead will pry it open and the thrid point is a pointless plastic screw that i just murdered as it wasnt coming out for me, didnt appear to be needed on re-fit so i dont give a monkeys!
again dis connect any electrical connector and at the top of the latch is a separate connector that needs to come off, it has a bowden cable attached that goes up into the door for the manual key ( so you can lock and unlock the car if battery dead etc), just pop that off and the exterior door handle rod and you are good to get the latch on the bench.
I got the dremel out and cut out the section need for the soft close microswitch, gave it a push where those 2 small holes are and when it was in a position to do so pulled it out, on the other side of the micro switch its held in by a bit of sprung plastic so anything thin enough to wedge it should work ok.
cut the wires, offer up the new switch in same orientation as the old and seat it untill you hear it press/click, for my switch it needs to be pressed when fitted, it is on the release of the switch bar that my motor kicks in, so for me the connections were the right and middle spade.if you put a meter on, you want an open loop when the door lock is fully open, and you want it to make the electrical connection when the lock makes the first click as when the soft close should normally kick in, and it should keep that connection when door lock is fully closed.
so get the switch postion sorted, bit of solder and i used hot glue to hold everything in place. all back on my motor and so far so good. not sure how long these maplin (product code N96AQ) £2.29 micro switchs will last but no issue replacing them again if and when the do go.
Hi does anyone know the RS or Farrell equivalent microswitch part number to the Maplin N96AQ? Cheers,
Old 19th May 2020, 08:18 PM

Sadly I no longer own a Maplin catalogue, but looking at the pictures you need a short lever SPDT microswitch, take your pick from here....

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/microswitc...-microswitches

At 50 pence a pop, maybe you could order a couple of options, but the yare mostly interchangeable
Old 25th May 2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
Sadly I no longer own a Maplin catalogue, but looking at the pictures you need a short lever SPDT microswitch, take your pick from here....

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/microswitc...-microswitches

At 50 pence a pop, maybe you could order a couple of options, but the yare mostly interchangeable
Thanks Paul, I’ll have a look👍